What's new

SP3 Smart Cover (covers screen but not back side of unit)

Aegeas

So I want a smart cover like they have for the iPad. You know, the one that connects to the bottom of the unit magnetically and only covers the screen? The reason I want this is because I had one of the folios that covers everything and the backside of the case got hot when playing Path of Exile. I take it off and it works fine. I still want my screen to be covered and I will use one of the MS All In One keyboards because I like them better than the Type Cover.

I am resigned to having to make one though. I am going to buy a broken Type Cover off eBay and remove the keys and electronics and then have my local leather shop stitch a thin leather cover with little plastic panels inside it to make the part that rolls up. I want it to roll up into a decent diameter because it gives me a handle when it in portrait mode, once again, like my iPad. By doing this I get what I want, how I want it, and I don't have to wait for someone to make it. It also gives me pride that I spat in MS's eye about making me buy their damned Type Cover for $120. I can get a dead one for $15 and the leather work is only $40.

This way it is held in magnetically, doesn't cover the back so that the heat is dispelled better, and I can play PoE without getting overheating. Win-Win! Once it is completed, I will post some pics so you can do your own if you like.

malberttoo

So I want a smart cover like they have for the iPad. You know, the one that connects to the bottom of the unit magnetically and only covers the screen? The reason I want this is because I had one of the folios that covers everything and the backside of the case got hot when playing Path of Exile. I take it off and it works fine. I still want my screen to be covered and I will use one of the MS All In One keyboards because I like them better than the Type Cover.

I am resigned to having to make one though. I am going to buy a broken Type Cover off eBay and remove the keys and electronics and then have my local leather shop stitch a thin leather cover with little plastic panels inside it to make the part that rolls up. I want it to roll up into a decent diameter because it gives me a handle when it in portrait mode, once again, like my iPad. By doing this I get what I want, how I want it, and I don't have to wait for someone to make it. It also gives me pride that I spat in MS's eye about making me buy their damned Type Cover for $120. I can get a dead one for $15 and the leather work is only $40.

This way it is held in magnetically, doesn't cover the back so that the heat is dispelled better, and I can play PoE without getting overheating. Win-Win! Once it is completed, I will post some pics so you can do your own if you like.

Aegeas, welcome to the forum!

Myself and many others have wished for this same kind of cover. Hopefully, maybe we'll get it with the SP4, assuming there are no patent issues with Apple. I would also love a TypeCover that stays magnetically closed against the SP3, instead of allowed to flop freely around when carried.

Looking forward to your pics!