What's new

Can Windows Pro Run Windows RT Program?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Both Pro and RT can officially run apps from the Microsoft apps store. That is the only place RT devices can run apps from however the Pro can also side load (install other programs) other apps. So if an app has been approved for the app store for RT it should run on Pro. There is a chance that an app could be designed specifically for RT and not run on Pro but that doesn't make much sense and seems unlikely (why would somebody create an app that only runs on RT which does not have a proven user base when they can easily make it compatible for both and reach the millions using Windows 8?).

joeaux

To continue J515OP's train of thought. By creating a correctly written app for Windows 8 (i.e. Metro or whatever Microsoft is calling it now) it should be extremely easy to port it to all versions of Windows 8 (Pro, RT and Windows Phone 8). That's massive. If they really pull it off it'll push Microsoft over the top. Before it's done I'll have a Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8 (got a Lumia 900 now), a Surface RT and most of my "old" computers will be running Windows 8 Pro. If I can buy one app and use it on all of my devices, Oh Helios, I'll have a nerdgasm!
-joe-

dccorona

I don't actually believe what the first poster said is correct. If an app is built for windows RT, it will run on Pro. It won't necessarily have good mouse and keyboard support, but I don't believe microsoft would allow such programs past their strict certification process. They make sure that apps allowed into the store are quality and compatible...it's, in many ways, just like apple's app store

wilbur4321

I don't actually believe what the first poster said is correct. If an app is built for windows RT, it will run on Pro. It won't necessarily have good mouse and keyboard support, but I don't believe microsoft would allow such programs past their strict certification process. They make sure that apps allowed into the store are quality and compatible...it's, in many ways, just like apple's app store

While this is generally correct, there is a caveat -- an app *could* be published just for ARM (ie, just for Windows RT). Will app vendors do this? Well, only time will tell -- hopefully there are enough x86 slates out there that they will not do so.

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8