What's new

Can't Save Maximum Processor Power State

mennogreg

I'm trying to configure my power saver profile for maximum battery life, so I wanted to adjust the max processor state in the power options to a lower value. What I found is that it doesn't retain the value I entered but instead reverts back to 100%. It retains the value when restarting, but if I change my profile to Balanced, for example, and go back, its back to 100% again. All other settings, to my knowledge, are still retained. Any ideas? I thought it may be administrator related, so I ran cmd as an admin and got into powercfg settings, but to change that specific setting it uses numerical keystrings and I don't know how to properly adjust it.

Anyone else experience this?

jrapdx

I'm trying to configure my power saver profile for maximum battery life, so I wanted to adjust the max processor state in the power options to a lower value. What I found is that it doesn't retain the value I entered but instead reverts back to 100%. It retains the value when restarting, but if I change my profile to Balanced, for example, and go back, its back to 100% again. All other settings, to my knowledge, are still retained. Any ideas? I thought it may be administrator related, so I ran cmd as an admin and got into powercfg settings, but to change that specific setting it uses numerical keystrings and I don't know how to properly adjust it.

Anyone else experience this?

I tried, but wasn't able to replicate the problem. I set the "Maximum processor state" to 90% for the "Power saver" profile. After changing to "Balanced" profile, with or without an intervening sleep interval, the Power saver Max proc state setting remained at 90%.

It's entirely possible what I did is not exactly the same as what you had done. I'm willing to try some other sequences but so far my result has been different.

OP
M

mennogreg

I tried, but wasn't able to replicate the problem. I set the "Maximum processor state" to 90% for the "Power saver" profile. After changing to "Balanced" profile, with or without an intervening sleep interval, the Power saver Max proc state setting remained at 90%.

It's entirely possible what I did is not exactly the same as what you had done. I'm willing to try some other sequences but so far my result has been different.

Thank you for taking the time to try it out. I don't know how far back this goes, as I set it soon after I purchased it back in early December and hadn't checked it again until recently, so I have no idea if its because of the botched firmware or, as I suspect, Administrator related.

OP
M

mennogreg

Just posting the solution here in case anyone else comes across the same problem. In my case, it was caused by BlueStacks (the Android emulator); disabling it from operating at startup allowed the max processor state values to remain at the settings I set them to.