What's new

Channel bonding in 802.11 N

Cowboy

Does anyone know if the Surface network adapter supports channel bonding in 802.11 N or G for that matter. There are a lot of good routers and access points out there on the market that support channel bonding to provide speeds up to 300 - 450 Mbps. Are we maxed out at 140?

OP
Cowboy

Cowboy

I believe that the SP has 2 antenna which would yield a max of 300Mbps in theory

In theory, practice and theory are the same, but in practice they are not. At least that's my conclusion. (just kidding mlknez)

I have a new EnGenius N750 and 2 Cisco E2000 routers. They are doing their part. When I run InSSIDer on the Surface and display the networks I see channels 11+7 in the 2.4 Ghz range and 153+147 in the 5.0 Ghz range. I can connect to those routers but I still show the maximum connection speed of 144Mbps in Network and Sharing Center | Connections. I find it interesting that InSSIDer can see and analyze the signals but the network adapter cannot use them. InSSIDer says that the Cisco connections should support 300 Mbps and the 5.0 Ghz EnGenius should support 450 Mbps, but no matter what I do I am topped out at 144 Mbps.

Anyone have any insight to this?

machistmo

The GigE Adapter added by the Dell S2340T rocks. I deal with the Crappy Wifi when I locate in the front of the house.

machistmo

In other news, more directly related to your post, I don't even get that number when I inspect my connection : I get 65Mbps and sometimes less on my surface. Up until I read this post I just figured the Surface Wifi sucked and didn't worry all that much about it since I have the GigE solution. Have you done anything to get the 144, because I am getting less than half that number?... I would venture to guess its this overpriced, underpowered R6300 Netgear router.

OP
Cowboy

Cowboy

Yes I did. First of all I did nothing to the setting of the network adapter on the Surface. At the router I set the bandwidth for both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands to 40 Mhz only. Then I told the Surface to "Forget this connection" where I had previously connected to the router and then I re-established the connection. I am sure I am connected in the 5.0 Ghz band and that is what did it. I have not tried setting the bandwidth on the router back to 20 Mhz or Auto but it probably wouldn't make any difference.

machistmo

Connecting to my 5G side yields 280Mpbs but only 2 bars of Signal and I am perhaps 16 or 20 Linear feet ( 1 house story and then some distance ) from the router.

OP
Cowboy

Cowboy

Connecting to my 5G side yields 280Mpbs but only 2 bars of Signal and I am perhaps 16 or 20 Linear feet ( 1 house story and then some distance ) from the router.

It's not the 16 to 20 feet it's going through the floor or wall that will kill you with 5 Ghz. 280??? On the Surface using the built in adapter?

machistmo

Yea it sucks. I understand RF and all that, its just meh. I think this router sucks. 270-216 yea.

Last edited:
OP
Cowboy

Cowboy

My comment was not meant to disparage your 270 - 216, I am stuck at 144. I have 3 different routers and have tried all of them. I use 40Mhz band width in the 5Ghz range, router is set to N only, AES encryption, everything that I am supposed to use, but nothing improves my speed. My only question is have you changed any hardware or settings on Surface because you are doing a lot better than I.

I just disabled IPV6 on my wireless network adapter and I am getting a steady 270Mbps. Machistmo, if you still have IPV6 enabled it would be interesting to see what you get by disabling it.

Last edited: