What's new

Chrome Canary causing my system crashes it seems

Rugbyguy541

So as some may have seen my posts, I have been getting CONSTANT crashes, around 9-10 times a day and getting worse. So today as a last ditch idea, I stopped using canary and just IE. I am at 12.9% battery and been using it for 4 hours & 50 minutes, not a single crash. I am still planning on exchanging it for a new one when school is over (battery already has 1.8% wear) but I was curious if anyone else has had these kinds of issues with chrome canary? As someone who uses the google ecosystem heavily and uses his pc for chromecast a lot, I need my google, might just switch to chrome high DPI but I liked canary because of the 64-bit support.

edit: also need chrome for the add-ons, reddit without res just isn't right.

benjitek

Canary Chrome is kinda hard to troubleshoot -- it's updated almost daily and is considered pre-beta. So troubleshooting the Canary version you're using today likely won't be applicable or necessary tomorrow. You might want to consider the developers-beta, the version in between canary and regular-beta. At least that's the version I use, and I haven't run into any issues.

Both the developer and regular betas now include 64 bit and high DPI functionality.

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

Awesome I am running that now, we'll see how it goes, tomorrow will be the big test drive for me. IE is ok, but it's no chrome, I just use IE when I need battery to last.

ctitanic

I'm so happy with IE that I have not thought ever about using any other browser in my Surface.

In the past I used Opera, Firefox and Chrome. from all of them Firebox was my preferred.

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

the Surface being my 1 device, it is a bit versatile for me. I have my "Desktop Mode" where I run chrome, full brightness, and tons of other stuff, got my few hours on mobile where I keep everything the same for the most part, then my mobile mode, and low screen brightness, IE, all of that.

I can't stand IE because of no add ons, need them!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't stand software that crashes and drains your battery like it was chugging beer. I hope you at least reported these issue to your owner and master Google. :)

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

I can't stand software that crashes and drains your battery like it was chugging beer. I hope you at least reported these issue to your owner and master Google. :)

Yep I am. Just had a crash again with the Beta version of chrome, so back to IE for me. I love the SP3, but been having a lot of issues, hopefully the new one will fix those :/