What's new

Convince me that the Dock is worth the money

ptrkhh

If youre going to use all the ports, I think its worth the price. Sure its still more expensive than buying adapters separately, but the price difference isn't that huge anymore. To replicate all ports of the docking station, you would need to add these items to your shopping cart: Wall charger $50, 7-port USB3 hub, $30, USB soundcard, $50, DP cable, $10. They total to about $140, just about $30 difference from the docking station which is obviously more convenient and looks a LOT neater and better in use.

However, if youre not going to use all the ports, I would recommend to just buy those products separately based on what you need.

ScottyS

You can get cheaper ones (around $9 or $10), by I was swayed by the claim of 4K capability, not that I have a 4K monitor, but ? someday.

Tmozer

Should the below $7 adaptor work ok with the SP3 or the docking stand?

HOME > Adapters > DisplayPort Adapters > Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapters
#specialtag { display: block; background-image: url(http://images.monoprice.com/Icons/sale-display-tag-v2.png); height: 70px; width: 100px; margin: -5px; cursor: pointer; z-index: 99; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold; position: absolute; }
53111.jpg

PreviousNext

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI® Adapter w/ Audio Support - White
Product No: 5311

53111.jpg
1320 reviews
Share this product:

QTY:
$6.85
Volume Pricing
To see and take advantage of our volume pricing sign up for a business account or contact our sales team.Learn more about Monoprice Business
ico_b_arrow_r.png

Compare at $19.95
You save $13.10 (65.66%)

ynohtna

I say don't buy the dock because you shouldn't need convincing. You will either have the use case to need/want one or not.

Tmozer

It took a YouTube video about the docking station for me to realize that the dock slides apart. No wonder I had a loose connection........