What's new

Hate to start another docking station thread, but...

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Unlike you I have no complaints with Microsoft support in the Phillipines. I first posted a query on the web site and they phoned me back immediately. I later phoned them in regard to a problem with the pen that came with the device. Told them that the store that I purchased the device from would not exchange it. The support person told me she would arrange for a new pen to be sent to me and that she would call me in a week to check that it had arrived, which it had. I have also called Microsoft support in regard to Windows 8.1 query's and the support staff were very friendly and helpful. This of course might change when my free tech support runs out at the end of February. This is another surprise. I bought my SP3 on the 19th September 2014 and thought it came with 90 days free tech support. But according to the Surface.com support page my Tech support end on 27 February 2015. Also Microsoft did not ask me to return the original pen so, I now have two. Although I can not unscrew the original one to get the batteries out.

I have had people in the Philippines put me on hold, got cut off and despite them asking for a callback number, never heard from them again. I had others tell me to reset my SP3 back to factory settings on some occasions where I was eventually able to figure out the problem myself. The second to the last guy was rude beyond belief, despite the fact I was very cool and calm with him. It was only the last person I chatted with that I vented my frustrations with customer service and the docking station issues that no one could assist me with that I got some real help. This guy told me flat out that he believed I had tried everything I could to get the dock to work, so he just decided to send me a new one. And I already have the email from MS to show he placed the order.

Again, not knocking the Philippines, but MS has to do a better job of training people there AND teaching them a thing or two about customer relations. I love my SP3, but frankly I was getting to the point that if this continued, I was ready to demand my money back from Microsoft. That was my experience. I'm sure many of you had better luck, but for me, it was ridiculous. But it did end on a high note.

Pyro515

That's interesting about the docking station. I have the same problem recently with the SP3 not booting in the docking station. I figured it was because of all the crap I have connected to it (4 monitors, external hard drive, joystick, keyboard, and mouse). Can you do us a favor and update this thread when you get the new docking station and let us know if it fixes your problem. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

OP
tuchas

tuchas

That's interesting about the docking station. I have the same problem recently with the SP3 not booting in the docking station. I figured it was because of all the crap I have connected to it (4 monitors, external hard drive, joystick, keyboard, and mouse). Can you do us a favor and update this thread when you get the new docking station and let us know if it fixes your problem. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

Absolutely, Mike. :)

OP
tuchas

tuchas

They asked for my SP3 serial number. Nothing for the docking station. I don't even know if the dock has a serial number. What would they be able to surmise from my Surface serial number?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They asked for my SP3 serial number. Nothing for the docking station. I don't even know if the dock has a serial number. What would they be able to surmise from my Surface serial number?
When, where, line, lot info etc. crossed with problem reports and engineering notices.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Nope, no serial number asked for on the docking station. So they had no way of knowing what batch this came from. I do find that strange, but then again they may have recognized internally that many if not most of the earlier docks were defective.

mtalinm

also love my docks (yes, one for work and one for home). only gripe is that the sp3 does not like to sleep in the dock with an external monitor connected - keeps waking up

Kif

Nope, no serial number asked for on the docking station. So they had no way of knowing what batch this came from. I do find that strange, but then again they may have recognized internally that many if not most of the earlier docks were defective.

Yeah, seems like a funny thing to say by a support tech and slightly unprofessional. My dock is from an early batch because I bought it at launch and I haven't had any issues. Regardless it's cool they replaced it. I hope it solves your issues.​

bluegrass

I don't know. The original batch must have been trash for them not to take this one back. It's funny that I'm still within the Amazon return period to return this defective one, and as wrong as a free docking station sounds, frankly given my troubles I wouldn't feel so bad.

On another note, this was the first tech rep that actually did something for me. Most of MS Customer Service and Tech Support I've worked with lately have been godawful, and they are all outsourced to the Philippines. While I am not singling out a particular country, I am convinced outsourcing has done more damage to a company's reputation than it has helped. The reps have no clue how to assist you, they are sometimes rude and condescending, and for the most part are not trained adequately. Every Apple Tech rep is here in North America and most know their stuff. If MS wants to compete in the hardware market, they better learn that from the competition[/COLOR].

Of course there is no way to know unless the tech person told you he is in the Philippines but I hope that Microsoft has not taken the step to out-source their Surface Tech support overseas. I wish you had gotten the techs name that said he would send you a new one. He really deserves kudos for good support.,

As far as the original ones having problems, let's not jump to conclusions. A lot of people, including myself, have been using one since they were first released without any problems.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course there is no way to know unless the tech person told you he is in the Philippines but I hope that Microsoft has not taken the step to out-source their Surface Tech support overseas. I wish you had gotten the techs name that said he would send you a new one. He really deserves kudos for good support.,

As far as the original ones having problems, let's not jump to conclusions. A lot of people, including myself, have been using one since they were first released without any problems.
We know manufacturing is outsourced and there's a strong likelihood that there's more than one vendor making them.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

bluegrass, actually I did get his name. His name is "Harvey". I worked with him via chat. After the chat a survey window opened and I gave the guy the highest marks. He deserved it.

They have outsourced their Surface Tech Support. I have called tech support before and I always got someone in the Philippines. I hate this outsourcing crap for so many reasons - support and customer service is always terrible, and again American jobs (or jobs in the customer's local country) are lost as a result. But this was an exception. It should be the norm.