What's new

Convince me to buy the SP4 despite so many issues

maxx7

If it is not your problem, why do you worry about people posting about it? It's like me going to a Celiac Disease forum and explain "People do not care if gluten is harmful to some people"

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If it is not your problem, why do you worry about people posting about it? It's like me going to a Celiac Disease forum and explain "People do not care if gluten is harmful to some people"
With your logic, this isn't a "People with PWM Aversion Forum" your content posting is more akin to going to a Death Metal Enthusiasts Forum and saying until the bands lower the volume at their concerts you shouldn't attend as it can hurt you hearing....

maxx7

With your logic, this isn't a "People with PWM Aversion Forum" your content posting is more akin to going to a Death Metal Enthusiasts Forum and saying until the bands lower the volume at their concerts you shouldn't attend as it can hurt you hearing....

No, you do not seem to have a very good brain. This is a thread where the original poster wants to get opinions why he should buy SP4. It's like a poster in a celiac forum asking for reasons not to eat gluten. And anyways, this was an example, so quit trolling on a subject that does not concern you.

TPadden

"People Impacted" ?.....By staring at a flickering light for hours a day for years, will definitely have an impact on your nervous system and your health......No, you do not seem to have a very good brain......

Let me guess...... one of the symptoms is irritable bowel .....:D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No, you do not seem to have a very good brain. This is a thread where the original poster wants to get opinions why he should buy SP4. It's like a poster in a celiac forum asking for reasons not to eat gluten. And anyways, this was an example, so quit trolling on a subject that does not concern you.
You're sowing FUD on a forum that I moderate, so it does concern me, outside forum posts, blogs and un-sited Wikipedia articles I've seen zero scientific evidence linking PWM to the ills you point to.

maxx7

You're sowing FUD on a forum that I moderate, so it does concern me, outside forum posts, blogs and un-sited Wikipedia articles I've seen zero scientific evidence linking PWM to the ills you point to.

Pulse Width Modulation

The Latest on Computer Screens and Eye Fatigue | EIZO

Unfortunately there is very little scientific peer reviewed double blind placebo controlled material on this subject at this point, but that does not mean it does not exist.

please do not start banning people who are telling the world is not flat.

I do hope that educating people about this will get us to a point where we have scientific evidence and then people will not tolerate a flickering screen even if they think they are not affected.

Philtastic

Pulse Width Modulation

The Latest on Computer Screens and Eye Fatigue | EIZO

Unfortunately there is very little scientific peer reviewed double blind placebo controlled material on this subject at this point, but that does not mean it does not exist.

please do not start banning people who are telling the world is not flat.

I do hope that educating people about this will get us to a point where we have scientific evidence and then people will not tolerate a flickering screen even if they think they are not affected.
"This is a fact. We just don't have evidence for it."

You do realize that, if that's the best evidence that you are putting forward (a study with 10 participants where the difference was only 20-30%, ie. 2-3 people's perception, where it may not have been blinded), even if it were true, we have no reason to believe that flickering lights have a health impact on people who are not overly sensitive. Until we have a rigorous study on the effects of flickering lights, all we have are highly flawed anecdotes. For example, I saw a 1989 study about lights in a workplace(s) where changing the lights to higher frequency fluorescent bulbs reduced headaches (Fluorescent lighting, headaches and eyestrain - need a subscription to view the full paper)... but merely changing anything in a workplace, EVEN CHANGING IT BACK TO THE ORIGINAL CONDITIONS, can lead to workers feeling and working better. This is called the Hawthorne Effect where the attention of a concerned observer leads to positive effects (Hawthorne effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). In other cases, people in studies unconsciously change their behaviour or feelings based on what they think the experiment is about, which is the Demand Effect (Demand characteristics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

So no, it's not that we "do not have very good brains": it's that there isn't any good evidence to suggest that flickering lights have a negative health effect on the majority of people in the population. Even personally, I've worked in an office where we had a defective fluorescent bulb where we could literally see the rapid flickering. It was annoying as hell for the 2 weeks we put up with it but none of us had complained about headaches.

InspectHerGadget

A lot of these issues are just hysterical. Some people once you suggest an issue, it becomes real for them. PWM is one of these. Old CRT screens Could be nasty but these lovely IPS screens are amazing.

OP
J

jtcb

So I will get the SP4 i5 afterall. Now for ~$200 difference, should I go for the 4GB/128 or 8GB/256?