What's new

cracked surface 3 (atom) screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyosen

some time last night my surface screen got cracked. idk how it happened but it did so does anyone have a link to a site that sells the screen for cheap and a video of how to replace it. i dont have much money and i have to get it fixed because my school gave them to us

Johnny365

The Surface 3 screen/digitizer has to be replaced as it's all one piece. It would be at least $300 to get fixed. I would just get a new one.

XxDjHeXeRxX

If you can still use it w/o your screen freaking out. You can disable the touchscreen and use either a surface keyboard or find a cheap keyboard case and mouse.

Screens are too expensive and not worth it. Also most of these are glued. I heard that ifixit did a teardown and said its not worth it. But if you do try to tackle it and succeed I would recommend buying a bigger SSD and upgrade it while you have it open. Those are user replaceable but memory is not.

christo

some time last night my surface screen got cracked. idk how it happened but it did so does anyone have a link to a site that sells the screen for cheap and a video of how to replace it. i dont have much money and i have to get it fixed because my school gave them to us

My surface 3 (atom) screen also cracked. This happened whilst the device was sitting at home with the key cover on. It is not my fault. There is an apparent weakness in the Surface 3 screen. My assumption is that the screen was already slightly weakened during manufacture and that after 6 months the initial crack suddenly expanded. I am a qulaified mechanical engineer with 40 years experience so I know what I am talking about. For the moment my French store is refusing to replace this under guarantee. This is unacceptable. Microsoft should improve the design/and or manufacturing process.

christo

If you knew what you were talking about it wouldn't be an assumption ;)
Hi there,
I guess you are really Microsoft since you have posted an awful lot of messages!! >2000 in 1 year.
When I say assumption it is in the scientific sense. ie the best hypothesis that fits the facts.
I maintain that my Suface 3 cracked on its own with no force applied and with no damage to the outside of the case. Thus the hypothesis that best fits the fact is that the screen was too weak from day 1 and that my scientific hypothesis (or assumption) is that the cause of the failure is due to Microsoft not me.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
And all you have is an assumption, a hypothesis, which until you can prove otherwise is nothing but a hypothesis. If Microsoft were to replace your surface based on your hypothesis, with no actual proof, then they set precedent and therefore anyone who has a cracked screen can use your hypothesis, and receive a replacement.

You rather make me question the validity of your hypothesis given your other hypothesis is that if someone writes 2000 posts in a year then they are a microsoft employee.

The funny thing is, on this forum alone there are a number of users who have experienced an unexplained crack in their screen be it the s3 or whatever, and obtained a replacement from microsoft. Maybe if you act humble when raising the issue, they might listen. As opposed to asserting you must be right because you have a background in engineering, you are wrong, I am right. Belligerent customers rarely get real consideration, in any business.

christo

I still believe you are a Microsoft employee or at least an aficiando. This is my last comment on this one as you seem to blame me for the fact that I am informing the forum of an issue that I have had.
Up to the surface 3 crack issue I was a strong Microsoft supporter. The actual product is first class when it is not broken. I bought a Surface RT nealy 3 years ago. This still works perfectly I am still happy with it.
I am now extremely frustrated because Microsoft has refused to replace the device under guarantee based on their hypothesis "as the screen is cracked the customer must have dropped it or applied excessive force". Given that I know that I did not dop the device nor apply excessive force and there was NO VISIBLE EXTERNAL DAMAGE to the case or glass (apart from a straight crack) I can confirm that the crack in the glass is due to something related to the product not its use (ie poor work-manship during assembly or poor design).
There is no need to reply to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.