What's new

Crazy fan noise

unruledboy

recently the surface book 2 with dGPU gives some crazy noise from the base, it is not those constant one, it is like: every second, it starts low pitch then high pitch, sounds like something stuck in the fan and every second it hits a choking spot and gives that high pitch noise.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, @unruledboy

Indeed, sounds like some fuzz or hair is stuck in the fan.

Get a cold blower (like the exhaust of a vacuum cleaner with a clean bag and filter, or “canned air”) and blow into all ports and vents. You just might clear it up, or relieve some noise.

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

Hi there, @unruledboy

Indeed, sounds like some fuzz or hair is stuck in the fan.

Get a cold blower (like the exhaust of a vacuum cleaner with a clean bag and filter, or “canned air”) and blow into all ports and vents. You just might clear it up, or relieve some noise.

@sharpuser yes, it is working, and I forgot to come back to thank your help! SORRY!

One thing though, now I got a 4K 43'' inch external monitor, I would close the lit and only use the external one, I can feel the CPU heating crazy, so I have to use a dedicated big fan to blow the wind to it so it could cool down.

NOT good, but works, if I open the lit, I can feel the heat on the screen as well, but after sometime, it is fine again, even without the big fan blowing at it. I mean: with lit closed, HOT, with lit open, warm enough.

So is it by design or it is a bug?

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

Sounds abnormally hot. Fan may still be clogged?

Can't hear fan noise, though. Just a bit confused, as with the lit open then feels alright.

My friend has a similar model and dead a few weeks ago, about 15 months after purchase, I was surprised they gave him a brand new one, I thought it's only 1 year factory warranty.

But I don't want it to be opened and fixed, that would be messy. But I need to edit videos, even with dGPU, the CPU usage is still high, and even hotter, but then, I can hear the fan noise.

So, yeah, could be clogged to some degree.