What's new

Desktop Shifts Off Center Forces Reboot

Blair

I have a recurring problem which I cant describe with detail so I cant search for it.

I am running a Surface 3 Atom with Windows 10 (the one which came with it, Home I think). I have the stylus (two button with battery and butt button) and the basic cover/keypad.

I have MS Office 2013 installed, Acrobat Pro, Photoshop.

When I am using the stylus, somehow, I accidentally drag the desktop off center usually to the right. The screen sometimes turns a purple hue and the touch pad stops working, but the keyboard still works.

The worst part is that the touch screen remains unshifted. So if I try to use my finger or the stylus, I see the arrow icon to the right an inch (if the desktop is shifted to the right an inch).

This makes the computer unusable and I have to reboot. This can be very inconvenient if I am working on a deadline.

I took a photo of my screen but I cant upload it right now, I can add it to this thread if it will be a help.

I haven't tried disconnecting the keyboard and reconnecting it to see if that will reactivate the touchpad.

thanks

OP
B

Blair

Attached is a jpg which I edited to illustrate my problem. This mainly seems to happen when I am using the stylus. You see how the edge of the desktop is now offset from the edge of the screen and the cursor is equally offset from the location of the stylus.

Attachments

• Surface-Problem.jpg
    Surface-Problem.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 529
OP
B

Blair

So this happened to me again yesterday twice and I wasnt even using the stylus. Somehow I am grabbing the left had margin of the desktop and then dragging it around until I move my finger away from the screen and it just stays where I left it somewhere in the middle of the screen. The desktop also turns greenish and the icons look purpleish. I can still use the mouse on the keyboard to reboot it. It is very strange and annoying.