What's new

Display Driver Crashing

MickeyLittle

Does anyone have a solution for this display driver crashing issue? Has anyone determined whether it is hardware or software related?

I called support and they told me to refresh my device and call back. The device refresh did not help and my display driver crashes at least once per day.

I have used the following method twice with 2 different SP2s successfully to help with 2 different screen issues.
1) My first SP2 had the Screen dimming/flickering effect
2) My current SP2 had the wake up from sleep very dim and gradually brighten after 3-5 seconds but only on battery mode

After performing the following instructions (that I found somewhere on this forum) both of these issues were resolved. So here is a copy of what someone else had already posted.

"1. You need to download the Win64_15338.zip from this link, not the .exe file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...09

Once you've got that and its extracted you need to go into the device manager and right click on the graphics device found under "Display Adapters". Click "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick from a list" > "Have Disc.."

Now you need to click "Browse" and point it to a file named "igdlh64.inf" which is found inside the folder you extracted earlier under the sub folder "Graphics".

Once that's done hit next and let it install and the driver is installed!

To stop the screen flickering, right click on the desktop and select the new option "Graphics properties" then "Power". Select "On Battery" and turn off both the "Display Power saving technology" and "Extend battery life for gaming" options. Done! Enjoy no screen flickering!

I'd also turn off the adaptive brightness in the advanced power options if you haven't already, it's quite annoying!"

quickfire55

OK, I've installed the new driver. I'll let you know how it goes.

As a point of clarification, this appears to be the correct driver for this video card (read: this does not appear to be a hack-fix). If I'm correct, and this is the correct driver, why didn't MS or Windows install it be default?

MickeyLittle

OK, I've installed the new driver. I'll let you know how it goes.

As a point of clarification, this appears to be the correct driver for this video card (read: this does not appear to be a hack-fix). If I'm correct, and this is the correct driver, why didn't MS or Windows install it be default?

I have no idea about that. Did you also change the 2-3 power settings as those seem to make a difference as well?

kundas1

I have used the following method twice with 2 different SP2s successfully to help with 2 different screen issues.
1) My first SP2 had the Screen dimming/flickering effect
2) My current SP2 had the wake up from sleep very dim and gradually brighten after 3-5 seconds but only on battery mode

After performing the following instructions (that I found somewhere on this forum) both of these issues were resolved. So here is a copy of what someone else had already posted.

"1. You need to download the Win64_15338.zip from this link, not the .exe file.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...09

Once you've got that and its extracted you need to go into the device manager and right click on the graphics device found under "Display Adapters". Click "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick from a list" > "Have Disc.."

Now you need to click "Browse" and point it to a file named "igdlh64.inf" which is found inside the folder you extracted earlier under the sub folder "Graphics".

Once that's done hit next and let it install and the driver is installed!

To stop the screen flickering, right click on the desktop and select the new option "Graphics properties" then "Power". Select "On Battery" and turn off both the "Display Power saving technology" and "Extend battery life for gaming" options. Done! Enjoy no screen flickering!

I'd also turn off the adaptive brightness in the advanced power options if you haven't already, it's quite annoying!"

Just an FYI, this thread is for the Surface 2 not the pro...

quickfire55

Darn, I'm sorry guys. I was responding to Quickfire and he has a SP2. Sorry I didn't look to see what thread this was in!

The fault is mine. This is my time posting in the forum and I didn't realize that SP2's were excluded. I've tried the fix you suggested anyway :)

May I humbly suggest that we keep your postings until I confirm whether it works or not? If it fixes the problem, it will be the only solution to the problem on the whole of the Internet (according to my Google black-belt searching).

MickeyLittle

The fault is mine. This is my time posting in the forum and I didn't realize that SP2's were excluded. I've tried the fix you suggested anyway :)

May I humbly suggest that we keep your postings until I confirm whether it works or not? If it fixes the problem, it will be the only solution to the problem on the whole of the Internet (according to my Google black-belt searching).

Please let me know...

kundas1

So is there any updates on this? As my Surface 2 is crashing more and more when in sleep... getting really annoying.... and I don't want to send it in if it isn't a hardware issue...

ctitanic

So is there any updates on this? As my Surface 2 is crashing more and more when in sleep... getting really annoying.... and I don't want to send it in if it isn't a hardware issue...

It's not a hardware issue and if you follow the instructions in the following link that will fix the issue:

My Tegra 4 drivers won't update - Microsoft Community

As of MS fix, it may be released sometime this month according some rumors, nothing official.

kundas1

Sorry but I'm not going to restore my device AGAIN! It's a royal PITA... I guess I have to wait for Microsoft to release a fix...