What's new

Docking station for SP 2017 - need advise

sqa4life

Hi,
After testing out many laptops, I ended up with a 2017 Surface Pro.

Please recommend a universal docking station and any essential accessories.

Reason I want a universal is because I have other laptops that I want to use with the same docking station.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just search for displaylink docks. They're largely all the same thing with a different badge on the front. They're ok, but the performance (especially a jittery mouse) led me to just stick mine in a drawer and buy the MS one which is far superior, even if not universal.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess it depends on what you run. I don't do action games and have never noticed any latency issues etc and stream live videos without issue. I have seen latency issues using Miracast (wireless display) to a TV though.
I have used the older USB 2.0 Plugable dock and USB 3.0 docks as well as the Targus USB 3.0 dock. I got the later one purely because it lays flat vs vertical although it was more expensive. They almost all use the same DisplayLink chipset.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess it depends on what you run. I don't do action games and have never noticed any latency issues etc and stream live videos without issue. I have seen latency issues using Miracast (wireless display) to a TV though.
I have used the older USB 2.0 Plugable dock and USB 3.0 docks as well as the Targus USB 3.0 dock. I got the later one purely because it lays flat vs vertical although it was more expensive. They almost all use the same DisplayLink chipset.

It was not latency issues, but rather stuttering. This occured both playing games, as well as just browsing the web. The mouse would just stutter/jitter around the screen. I lived with it for desktop use, but for gaming I had no choice but to use the dock at the time, so had to play a counter stike tournament aiming via strafing alone (still got to the finals :D). Everything else worked fine, but the mouse was a bit of an issue.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was not latency issues, but rather stuttering. This occured both playing games, as well as just browsing the web. The mouse would just stutter/jitter around the screen. I lived with it for desktop use, but for gaming I had no choice but to use the dock at the time, so had to play a counter stike tournament aiming via strafing alone (still got to the finals :D). Everything else worked fine, but the mouse was a bit of an issue.
Sounds funky, I never saw any issues with the mouse except when using one on Bluetooth. I use one of these all the time with a wireless keyboard/mouse connected to a USB port in the dock, One monitor usually that I use as my main monitor although at times I connect two, with USB multifunction fax/printer/scanner and Ethernet, sometimes an external HDD (always connected but powered off when not needed).