What's new

Docking Station USB don't work except power (issue with Tablet)

dudalemon

I know I put this under Surface Pro 6, but hear me out.

I have a user here who uses a MS Surface Pro 6 and nothing works on the docking station's USB (Tested on two docking stations - one was brand new). We have the Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse combo usb, a Jabra headset and neither of them work when connecting up to the docking station but works fine connecting them straight into the Tablet.

Because I have tested it on two different docking stations, I'm starting to think something (maybe a driver?) is not right on the tablet itself. The user said it worked up until a couple of weeks ago when all of a sudden it stopped working.
I have looked into Device Manager but not sure exactly where to look. Plugging and unplugging the USBs do not refresh device manager list.
The docking stations do work because the internet does change to a cable connection and it does charge the laptop as well as the two monitors connect.

Plugging an iPhone charger into it, does work though in terms of charging.

Has anyone come across this issue?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed this sounds like a driver problem with the SP6.

While the docking station is connected, do this:
1) Open Device Manager
2) In the section "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", select each device one-by-one, then click the red "X". You will have to scroll down every time a controller is removed. You may even see your cursor (mouse) be removed, so be ready to use the touch screen with the pen or your finger.
3) When finished, either choose Action, Rescan for Hardware changes, or simply reboot your PC.

Let us know...

Screenshot 2020-11-08 163214.png

OP
D

dudalemon

Indeed this sounds like a driver problem with the SP6.

While the docking station is connected, do this:
1) Open Device Manager
2) In the section "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", select each device one-by-one, then click the red "X". You will have to scroll down every time a controller is removed. You may even see your cursor (mouse) be removed, so be ready to use the touch screen with the pen or your finger.
3) When finished, either choose Action, Rescan for Hardware changes, or simply reboot your PC.

Let us know...

Thanks. Will update you soon - waiting for user