What's new

Dual boot with a Micro SD card and Yosemite

Matthew Reimer

So after selling a ton of surfaces at (staples) I decided to snag on on sale with open box discount as well as my employee discount, bringing my 128GB i5 down to 680 bucks.

Anyway I love this thing. I have andy (over squareblue) for my android apps however I have been reading a lot about Yosemite and want to dual boot it. The catch? I do not want to partition my HD and loose the already limited space. I want to instead purchase a 64 or 128GB Micro SD and dedicate that to the MAC OS.

Has anyone done this before? What are some tips and what loader are you using?

OP
M

Matthew Reimer

I have my reasons, I use to be a primary mac fanboy. However I jumped ship went android phone and back to my windows roots. Just want to have the mac on there for the entertainment stand point.

bluegrass

I have my reasons, I use to be a primary mac fanboy. However I jumped ship went android phone and back to my windows roots. Just want to have the mac on there for the entertainment stand point.

Ya. I imagine it would give you something to laugh about. Good luck.

OP
M

Matthew Reimer

I don't need the windows partition to boot from it I need the boot loader which should recognize a external drive to boot into mac.

wertzius

From an external USB drive/card reader yes, not from the internal card reader. But i will try this today afternoon for you.

Edit: Sry, i was wrong! It works, but the card has to be Fat32 formattet. I don't know if OSX is able to boot from a FAT 32 formattet disc.

You can call up the bootloader by holding Power and volume down at startup and releasing the volume button at the Surface logo.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see this as one of those typically bad tech articles that always show up on sites ... How to put OSX on your Surface Pro or some such. It will be a total hack job, functionality will be horrible, you will have to use separate USB keyboard, mouse, network adapter, and disk, on a powered USB hub. the pen wont work. The screen resolution will be 800x600 only using a hackin driver. Only one button on the mouse will work. So in the end the only thing your really using is the CPU, Ram, and screen in reduced functionality and nothing else but it will be written as if everything worked perfectly, as typical of these horror shows. Not to mention doing so is a violation of the OSX license. Why do it? Because it's there or to give the illusion to headline readers that its a real solution and OSX is all that.

Last edited:

everalm

Why shouldn't the OP want to try and put another OS on his Surface..? Is OSX someone more evil and soul sucking than say Ubuntu..? /rhetorical

The install would suck the big one, functionality would be spotty, many of the surface features would flat out not work and yet I've done it before, several years ago, on an old netbook just for shits and giggles and the intellectual challenge.

From the OP's post, there's no "article" being written it's a fellow SP3 owner wanting to try something, if you don't like the idea of him spoiling the purity of his SP3 then avoid the thread.

Markus1991

Here is a Link from OS X on a Surface Pro 2

It works very well!
The Pro 2 is similar to the Pro 3.

I think it will work on the Pro 3 too but the wifi wont