What's new

Event viewer messages

Ruffles

I'm somewhat concerned about the state of my Surface pro from all the warnings and errors in the event viewer. Many are from the ESENT service that refer to taking an abnormally long time to write a file and could be do to hardware failures. I've also got lots of warnings from the disk service for my SD card that various blocks are being retired. Finally, I've got lots of messages that a multitouch device reported inconsistent connection.

I know there is a ton of stuff in the event viewer that can be ignored but I'm a little bugged by this. The tablet seems to be working OK and if I hadn't seen all the message, I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong. I've had the tablet 2 months and I've got over 25k messages in the viewer.

I called MS up and discussed it with them. I got them impression that if I pressed the issue, they would replace it but I really don't want to go thru the hassle. Setting up a new tablet is a pain and I'd loose my cool carbon fiber skin. I've run every test on it I can think of such as chkdsk /f /b and trim and everything passes. Is anyone else seeing warnings and errors in their event viewer? I have a hard time believing the drives are about to give out when it seems to be running so well.

Nuspieds

I think your concern is rightfully justified after receiving such errors and warnings.

Have you ruled out virus/malware? If so, then I would suggest you do bite the bullet and get it replaced because this doesn't sound like an "ignore it and it will go away" problem. Rather, I would think that it would get worse to the point where you then start to get write failures.

What will save you the hassle of reinstalling is if you used a System Image backup software, such as from Acronis, to take complete disk backup. Then, with your new Surface Pro, all you would have to do is boot the software's recovery disk and then do a full system restore.

I checked my logs and I have no such errors whatsoever.

mitchellvii

I've got thousands of errors in my Event Viewer and my SP seems to run just fine. The most common error is, "How come you get all the best looking women?" but I just rack those up to jealousy.

Regardless, this is a new OS and if you are running any legacy software such as earlier versions of things originally designed to work on Windows 7 you will get errors. So long as your rig runs fine I wouldn't sweat it.

That being said, I occasionally do a full wipe and reset of whatever computer I own. After a while you get some leftover fragments and ghosts in the machine that need to be cleared away. In addition, although TPTB say we don't need to defrag our SSD's or SDcards I have found that if you use software specifically designed for defragging flash memory this can help. For this I recommend MyDefrag v4.3.1. Make sure you select "Flash Memory Disks" from the list before defragging. Don't worry about "wearing your SSD out". You will be rocking a SurfacePro XXI long before the SSD on this one dies.

My SP be hatin...

ugly-guy-hot-wife.jpeg

Last edited:

Omni

I have some of those errors on my RT as did the one I had before I returned it for another reason. I wouldn't worry to much about it as my RT has been working perfectly.

Nuspieds

I could not rest knowing that I had errors and warnings about writing files. I'd immediately start to worry about losing/being unable to save data.

I would think, though, that given the details that Event Viewer provides, Microsoft should be able to provide more than adequate troubleshooting for the messages.

mitchellvii

I could not rest knowing that I had errors and warnings about writing files. I'd immediately start to worry about losing/being unable to save data.

I would think, though, that given the details that Event Viewer provides, Microsoft should be able to provide more than adequate troubleshooting for the messages.

In the last 20 years I have only twice had corrupted database files (my fault for some lousy programming) and one Raid go bad on me. I'm not going to worry about it.

Omni

I have nothing on my Surface that is that important. All the important stuff is in the cloud or stored on the server upstairs. If performance started to be affected then I would look at returning it.

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

I have nothing on my Surface that is that important. All the important stuff is in the cloud or stored on the server upstairs. If performance started to be affected then I would look at returning it.

I thinking that's the way I'll go. While it bothers me, I understand there could be other reasons for the events. What I'd like to do is sort the entire process of creating and restoring an image on the surface using something like Acronis (from what I've read, there are some hoops to jump thru and it's not as simple as it should be). Once I've got an image, I'll do a complete refresh of the device and play with it for a bit and see what kind of events are triggered. If it's the same, I'll just restore my image. If not, I'll reinstall apps and go from there.

ArnoldC

Firstly, ESENT logs are classified in the Windows Application Log, *not* System.

Secondly, it *is* an application, it appeared in Windows XP /2000 (IIRC) and is a compact Database Management Engine, called Extensible Storage Engine. It is used in many different ways, such as Active Directory, Windows Search, and other Windows services.

Even if you replace your unit, it will *not* go away.