What's new

External monitor resolution issue.

objectref

Hi to all here,

My SP3 came yesterday and it's a great device indeed. One problem though so far:

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 24" monitor and I connect it to my SP3 through mini-display port. Problem is that although it sets the resolution to my ext. monitor to it's native one (1920 x 1080), all things in Samsung monitor seems to be very large. If I go at control panel at the option "Change the size of all items" and experiment with "smaller", it also affects the SP3 monitor and makes things smaller also in there (to small to be able to do some work at Surface).

Is there a setting that allows me to make things smaller at my external monitor bu keep the default (150%) at the Surface ?

Ah, I use the "Extend" options so I can have both displays active at the same time.

Thanks a lot for any help on this!

objectref

BaritoneGuy

Hi to all here,

My SP3 came yesterday and it's a great device indeed. One problem though so far:

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 24" monitor and I connect it to my SP3 through mini-display port. Problem is that although it sets the resolution to my ext. monitor to it's native one (1920 x 1080), all things in Samsung monitor seems to be very large. If I go at control panel at the option "Change the size of all items" and experiment with "smaller", it also affects the SP3 monitor and makes things smaller also in there (to small to be able to do some work at Surface).

Is there a setting that allows me to make things smaller at my external monitor bu keep the default (150%) at the Surface ?

Ah, I use the "Extend" options so I can have both displays active at the same time.

Thanks a lot for any help on this!

objectref

There is an option in the display settings that will allow you to set different scaling levels. I would fiddle a bit with that.

OP
O

objectref

There is an option in the display settings that will allow you to set different scaling levels. I would fiddle a bit with that.

I did all these, in fact, trying this thing for the last 2 hours...There is one setting there that make the resolution somewhat "fixed" on my external monitor but then the fonts there become blurry, especially on Visual Studio that I most care for.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I did all these, in fact, trying this thing for the last 2 hours...There is one setting there that make the resolution somewhat "fixed" on my external monitor but then the fonts there become blurry, especially on Visual Studio that I most care for.
On the Programs that are blurry, right click on the .exe or shortcut and select properties, from there select the compatibility tab and check the box towards the bottom that says "Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings" that should get rid of any blurry text. (This also works on the 64bit version of Office 2013).

OP
O

objectref

On the Programs that are blurry, right click on the .exe or shortcut and select properties, from there select the compatibility tab and check the box towards the bottom that says "Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings" that should get rid of any blurry text. (This also works on the 64bit version of Office 2013).

Hmm...I also tried that, right click on C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe (it is Visual Studio's main executable file)

But there is no Compatibility tab there! Am I doing something wrong ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It because you installed the 32bit version of VS.....there isn't a compatibility tab on the 32bit version....

OP
O

objectref

It because you installed the 32bit version of VS.....there isn't a compatibility tab on the 32bit version....

Unfortunately, there is only this edition of VS! Never mind, I will try to live with the blurry fonts and if I cannot, I will switch it to then non-blurry mode, that with huge things on my (external) monitor.

Thank you again!

EshinGodfrey

I first tried 'extend'ing the displays - both showing at once - and found the same. In the end I set Show Desktop Only on 2 to show on the external monitor, the SP3 screen is off. I set the display options to get adequate size for my 30" monitor. I use the sp3 as a desktop this way with just one screen.

When I unplug the minidisplay cable (and usb power) the SP3 displays it's default size setting on its screen. The external monitor, obviously, is then off.

This way each shows good sizing. Just can't display both at once - the 'extend' setting.

OP
O

objectref

I first tried 'extend'ing the displays - both showing at once - and found the same. In the end I set Show Desktop Only on 2 to show on the external monitor, the SP3 screen is off. I set the display options to get adequate size for my 30" monitor. I use the sp3 as a desktop this way with just one screen.

When I unplug the minidisplay cable (and usb power) the SP3 displays it's default size setting on its screen. The external monitor, obviously, is then off.

This way each shows good sizing. Just can't display both at once - the 'extend' setting.

If you set up things this way and you disconnect the mini display port, does your Surface then shows up things correctly (i.e., not smaller) ? Because I just did as you said and it seems that I need to log off and log in back again after so the device display things the correct way (and not smaller).

What a mess!!

EshinGodfrey

When I unplug the mdp+usb the open window from the external monitor shows up on the sp3 with the sizing set up for the sp3 .... BUT
The sp3 was in landscape mode but the screen started in portrait, including the open window. Weird! When I reconnect the mdp+usb the open window appears on the external monitor but reduced to the size it was on the sp3 (it was reduced on the sp3 to fit the screen size). MS talks of getting this correct in Win9. I hope so, it's messy until then.

I didn't need to logon off+on. I use a straightforward Win8 - no VS or hyper-v etc in case that makes a difference.

btw the way I work I finish in the desktop mode with the external monitor with no open windows. I then disconnect the sp3 to use it as a tablet elsewhere. It doesn't need a logon and starts OK in landscape.