What's new

SP3 scaling to ext monitors

kiwigirl

I know SP3 and windows cant handle different scaling percentages to different monitor, it all has to be the same. I didnt know this, otherwise i wouldnt have done it. I wanted to scale my desktop on my SP3 screen from 100% to 150% as 100 was just not bearable. Prior to this i was able to run 2 ext monitors off my SP3 no problem.

What happened was I scaled my desktop to 200% at first (to try it), signed out, back in, it was too big so I went to 150. Picture showed on both ext monitors plus the SP3 one. After i readjusted to 150%, i signed out, back in and picture showed on one of my ext monitors and my SP3 one but not the other.

I tried everything - I diagnosed that it wasnt the monitor or its USB video adaptor that its running off of. I plugged both monitors into another laptop and worked fine.

For some reason even though i even tried setting the scaling for all 3 monitors to 100% (what it was at before), windows still has the last sscaling percentage remembered for that 2nd ext monitor im trying to get picture out of. Windows reconizes the monitor but just wont display a picture.
I tried going back to the original scaling (100%), even tried disabling the SP3 screen altogether. Nothing.

How can I get windows to dump the memory setting its currently holding for that monitor? I had this working before, theres no reason why i cant get it to work again.

This scaling problem and the fact you cant scale each monitor at different percentages is a huge problem for windows. Cause I prefer 150% on my SP3 screen (anything less is too small), but then it makes the picture on the ext monitor way too big. Uhhh.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel your pain. I had a similar experience when I decided to try using the DP connection to one of my monitors instead of the DVI from my USB docking station. This I assume is a Windows problem but maddening. it sees the monitor but no display even after deleting the monitor when it see it again it seems to remember a corrupt configuration. it might be worth asking support if there is some way to RESET the displays. I spent two days trying to get the display back and finally did a Refresh which means reinstalling all Desktop apps after its done.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

OP
K

kiwigirl

I feel your pain. I had a similar experience when I decided to try using the DP connection to one of my monitors instead of the DVI from my USB docking station. This I assume is a Windows problem but maddening. it sees the monitor but no display even after deleting the monitor when it see it again it seems to remember a corrupt configuration. it might be worth asking support if there is some way to RESET the displays. I spent two days trying to get the display back and finally did a Refresh which means reinstalling all Desktop apps after its done.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

support said theres no way to reset the display connections.

they also said theres apparently a cable you can buu that you daisy chain the first monitor to the 2nd. not sire what its called, but i wouldnt mind this, if the cable isnt too pricey. then i can sell my usb diamond video card and should use up less resources.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
support said theres no way to reset the display connections.

they also said theres apparently a cable you can buu that you daisy chain the first monitor to the 2nd. not sire what its called, but i wouldnt mind this, if the cable isnt too pricey. then i can sell my usb diamond video card and should use up less resources.
For daisy chaining you need two DisplayPort monitors and one of them must be DP 1.2 which has two DP connections, one in and one out. Sounds simple but that too can be problematic because of vendor variances in implementing the DP standard. To be sure some people with the right equipment have had great success others have been frustrated. I don't mean to discourage you but do your homework for the best results.

Re no resetting displays: I hope you told them they *resemble a vacuum* for that. :)

OP
K

kiwigirl

For daisy chaining you need two DisplayPort monitors and one of them must be DP 1.2 which has two DP connections, one in and one out. Sounds simple but that too can be problematic because of vendor variances in implementing the DP standard. To be sure some people with the right equipment have had great success others have been frustrated. I don't mean to discourage you but do your homework for the best results.

Re no resetting displays: I hope you told them they *resemble a vacuum* for that. :)

oh oucn, i definitely am not gonna buy new monitors just to daisy chain. i might bring my monitor and the usb video adaptor into the MS store this week and see if they can figure it out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
oh oucn, i definitely am not gonna buy new monitors just to daisy chain. i might bring my monitor and the usb video adaptor into the MS store this week and see if they can figure it out.
Must be ever wary of the *u can do* comment. U can do X ... all you need to do X is; boil the ocean. ;)

surfdock

kiwi, please post a dxdiag log file and perhaps we can get to the bottom of this. run dxdiag.exe then click "save all info".

I believe there are some registry entries you can wipe to make windows think you've never had a monitor attached... I'll see if I can find those for you...

OP
K

kiwigirl

kiwi, please post a dxdiag log file and perhaps we can get to the bottom of this. run dxdiag.exe then click "save all info".

I believe there are some registry entries you can wipe to make windows think you've never had a monitor attached... I'll see if I can find those for you...

here you go

its long so i have to email the txt file to whomever will help me. PM me your contacts

OP
K

kiwigirl

Still need help trying to fix this. Both my monitors are unuasable right now cause the USB one doesnt display anything and the other has way too big of scaling.

surfdock

I found the article on how to wipe the settings from the registry, but I think it only works on Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934552 I don't think this works on Win7 or later.

The way to modify this stuff in Windows 7/Windows 8.x and later is tricky and undocumented. You need to run regedit and goto:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video

Under this key will be a lot of subkeys with long GUID names like {1234-ABCD-1234-ABCD-1234}Open them all up and look for another subkey that's something like "0000" "0001" "0002" etc. If you keep opening up the sub keys you'll find a lot of info describing the monitors and 3D settings and whatnot. This is where all the data for the monitors are stored. If you look at those, you can edit the info. As to exactly what to edit, I'm not sure. One approach is to back everything up and then delete it all and reboot and hope that all the devices get re-enumerated.

Before you mess with all that though, can you try something? Try uninstalling the DisplayLink software by using this cleaner tool: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=297

Then unplug and plug the USB dock back in and wait for it to find drivers via Windows Update.

You can also start "Device manager" and open up "display adapters" and right-click on the Intel HD Graphics device and uninstall the driver. The screen will flicker, then in a minute or two the driver will automatically re-install itself. This might fix something.

If you have that dxdiag log file, you can post it at http://pastebin.com/ or similar site.

Last edited:
OP
K

kiwigirl

Thanks Surf, I copy and pasted the dxdiag file to your link. Try this out.

http://pastebin.com/PbLYsjL2

I uninstalled the display link driver using the method you suggested, is reinstalling the driver again right now through windows automatically. I got it working!!!! YAY finally! THANK YOU!

Except I now need to scale both monitors so that they arent outrageously huge! Right now I have my SP3 scaled to how I like it (150 I believe, not 100% sure but its a couple notches above the default that ships with the SP3) and back then with the SP3 on its tiniest scale setting, the scaling on the monitors were perfect. But I couldnt read anything on the SP3. So I scalled up the SP3 two notches and now the monitors are massive. :( Like 800x600 massive, makes both monitors 100% unusable for me.

Can we not scale each monitor at different settings in W8?

Right now im scared to tinker with the scaling settings anymore, cause dont want this to happen again. What a major headache.

Last edited: