What's new

External power backup

bjablonka8120

I have an external power backup which I use for my Galaxy S4. It connects via USB cable on one end and the S4 plug on the other end to the phone. I would like to use that backup for SP 3 but the charging cable does not come apart with one end being a standard USB port and the other the standard SP 3 charging plug. I tried to find a cable but without success. Do you guys have any ideas? Thank

gmtmaster79

Give it some time for 3rd party to come up with the new magnetic connector. If you check eBay or Amazon, there are lots of SP/SP2 connectors for external battery pack already.

dnachef

As far as I can tell, as of 7/9/2014, this is the only place that is selling a surface pro 3 cable which can be connected to an external lithium ion battery pack. http://www.mikegyver.com/Surface-Battery-Car/

I have not bought or used those products so I can't vouch for them. The battery can be bought separately on Amazon for $99. mikegyver site is currently charging $99 just for the cable. ouch. hopefully more third party cables will come to market soon.

dnachef

I wasn't referring to the first one listed that costs $480. Keep in mind, that battery is rated to fully recharge the SP3 4 - 8 times. Most people probably don't need that much charge but some might if they are camping or away from a power source for long periods.

I was referring to the second battery listed. You can buy that battery separately on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB5VQCE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $99. It will charge a wide range of smartphones and other tablets as well as laptops. I'm just waiting for someone to come out with a 3rd party charging cable for the SP3 with a 5.5mm x 2.5mm female end because I'm not willing to pay $99 for a cable.

I think that MikeGyver site is charging what they want because they are first mover and there are currently no other options. That will change with time.

Jean

Hi everyone... I am new to the Surface 3 (had a pro before) but have that same issue with battery life (2 hours in full mode??? - sucks) and looking for options for an external battery. I noted somewhere that a company offers an external battery that plug in to the min USB? Is this indeed possible on the Surface 3? Otherwise the external battery that dnachef is suggesting is a great option but an adapter cable at $99.00 is a bit excessive even for desperate people like me to find a solution to extend battery life.