What's new

Power adapter goes to sleep / does not charge until re-plug in to outlet

gmtmaster79

I have noticed my Surface Pro 3 power adapter does not charge when I leave the tablet out overnight, and then tries to charge it next morning, the adapter does not charge or lite up on the connected adapter.
I have even tried to plug in a usb cable to charge my phone in the 5v usb port, and it does not charge.

But if I unplug / plug in the power adapter from my outlet, then it will start charging, both to the Surface Pro 3 and the 5v usb outlet.

Does this sound like an power adapter issue? Does the power adapter have a built-in sleep mode?

Thanks for any info!

tuchas

I noticed this as well - it's happened a couple of times but is inconsistent. It would be one thing if the unit was fully charged the next morning, but it isn't.

DanL

I haven't experienced that yet but I have seen seen it happen on other products labeled "green energy" etc. A few years ago Monster had power strips that would go to sleep when not in use to save energy. Problem was they wouldn't wake up without pulling the plug and plugging back in.

Is it possible the SP3 charger is using this technology?

kristalsoldier

I haven't experienced that yet but I have seen seen it happen on other products labeled "green energy" etc. A few years ago Monster had power strips that would go to sleep when not in use to save energy. Problem was they wouldn't wake up without pulling the plug and plugging back in.

Is it possible the SP3 charger is using this technology?

Interesting! But I don't think that by springing such a surprise (like the OP's reaction) on users, MS is gaining anything. In fact, it could add (perhaps unfairly) to the controversy and critique already surrounding Win 8 and the Surface line of devices.

The other thing is - notice also how while there is a cut-off to prevent "overcharging", it is located in the device (battery and related sensors) and not on the charger. The battery determines (at least in theory) its charge and discharge levels and how to optimize them.

My guess would be that the OP has a faulty charger.

Of course, as a lay-person, I could be wrong.

OP
G

gmtmaster79

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and bought another power adapter and will test this out next couple of days. I will report back my finding. But it does sound like a faulty adapter to me as well..

malberttoo

Sounds defective. Mine has stayed working, and the LED lit, for as long as it's plugged into an outlet.