What's new

Extremely Loud Static Noise

Buccaneer

Hello everyone,

So I had this problem a while back. When my Surface 3 was turned on, an extremely loud static noise erupted and wouldn't stop - not allowing me to use it in public. This was shortly after buying it, and when I took it to the Best Buy I bought it from, it was fixed by factory resetting the device.

Now, about a year later, I boot up my Surface 3 to the exact same problem. I looked it up and found this similar issue here: Solved - Surface 3 making a loud noise on switching on

However, this individual fixed it with updates. I keep my Surface 3 manually updated every week, including virus scans and malware scans. I don't see many more posts of people with this issue - could it be a hardware defect? I bought this Surface 3 over a year ago, so I don't think I can get any help from Best Buy or Microsoft. Am I stuck with having to buy a new one? Since this happened twice, I feel uneasy trying to use it in public again...

Edit: Looking back, I posted this problem here on June 12, 2015. This same problem is happening almost on the same day - spooky.

OP
B

Buccaneer

Well, after multiple people not knowing how to fix this (including a Microsoft store), I decided to do some research and found out that the problem lies within the audio drivers.

If anyone else has this problem on Windows 10, go to "Device Manager", under "sound, video, and game controllers", and disable the "Audio Codec".

Orlbuckeye

Hello everyone,

So I had this problem a while back. When my Surface 3 was turned on, an extremely loud static noise erupted and wouldn't stop - not allowing me to use it in public. This was shortly after buying it, and when I took it to the Best Buy I bought it from, it was fixed by factory resetting the device.

Now, about a year later, I boot up my Surface 3 to the exact same problem. I looked it up and found this similar issue here: Solved - Surface 3 making a loud noise on switching on

However, this individual fixed it with updates. I keep my Surface 3 manually updated every week, including virus scans and malware scans. I don't see many more posts of people with this issue - could it be a hardware defect? I bought this Surface 3 over a year ago, so I don't think I can get any help from Best Buy or Microsoft. Am I stuck with having to buy a new one? Since this happened twice, I feel uneasy trying to use it in public again...

Edit: Looking back, I posted this problem here on June 12, 2015. This same problem is happening almost on the same day - spooky.

Microsoft is pretty good about helping. I had my Surface Book stolen and was recovered but had water thrown on it. I took it to MS and the tech said i see no evidence of water so i should contact MS for an exchange. I created a call and they inspected and approved sending me a replacement. They aren't going to send a replacement but will try and help you.