What's new

Factory Reset?

bradl79

has anyone done a factory reset yet on a Surface Pro 4, i had tried to do one the other day and it gave me an error and i could not recovery, i kept getting a boot loop and i had to take it back to best buy and they gave me a new one, no matter what i did it would not finish, i got to 58% and then said there was an error, can someone tell me if they had successfully done it and how? thank u

gtmead09

Ya, I tried to do one before I sent back a replacement device and got the same problem. It still boot loop when I sent it back.

OP
B

bradl79

Ya, I tried to do one before I sent back a replacement device and got the same problem. It still boot loop when I sent it back.

when u did ur's did u enter the recovery ID too? or did u do skip drive, i entered the recvoery ID but it says to skip drive, i may need to try to do that next time, thank you

bnathan

I had brought this up before and everyone in the forums here just gave me hell for saying it but a LOT of the surface units do this. I work in a retail store which sells Surface and EVERY single one of our displays had this issue. Some would recover if you left them but it would take anywhere up to 12 hours (mine takes 8). If it errors for you then download the image from Microsoft and run it from a USB and it will work but still takes way too long.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I had brought this up before and everyone in the forums here just gave me hell for saying it but a LOT of the surface units do this. I work in a retail store which sells Surface and EVERY single one of our displays had this issue. Some would recover if you left them but it would take anywhere up to 12 hours (mine takes 8). If it errors for you then download the image from Microsoft and run it from a USB and it will work but still takes way too long.
If it is taking that long something is wrong, if MS helped setup your DEMO units they are running a locked down retail demo image and that might explain what you are seeing.

no one had to restore their Surface Pro 4?

I have not needed to do it for a SP4, but I did my RT, S2, SP2 and SP3 without issue. Yours may have had a hardware issue.

bnathan

I had a SP3 which took under 10 minutes to recover. I have now had 2 SP4 units and both take a long time to recover and I have recovered many customer units and all of them I have to leave over night or if they start recovery early on the day then it doesnt finish till almost close. I have seen it on every SP4 I have recovered be it my own units, the stores or other customers. This issue is present when you do a full wipe recovery.

OP
B

bradl79

I had a SP3 which took under 10 minutes to recover. I have now had 2 SP4 units and both take a long time to recover and I have recovered many customer units and all of them I have to leave over night or if they start recovery early on the day then it doesnt finish till almost close. I have seen it on every SP4 I have recovered be it my own units, the stores or other customers. This issue is present when you do a full wipe recovery.

Did u have any of them fail and did u ever use the recovery key or did u click on skip drive

bnathan

Yes I have had them fail, also had them take literally 12 hours to complete. Just download the image from the Microsoft site and it will work.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I checked with my filed IT Techs and they do a factory reset on all of our SP4s and SBs prior to deploying and it is taking them about 45-60 minutes.