What's new

Finally figured out why Autocorrect on the SP is so weak and I think I like it...

mitchellvii

As you already know, the autocorrect feature on the SP is pretty weak as compared to Apple and Android. But think about it. The SP is targeted at the pure business user. Do we REALLY Want to be making those amusing and embarrassing Apple autocorrect we've all read online to our clients?

The thing the SP does do very well is underline the mistakes you make and then allows you to easy fix them with a right click. More work, but for a business person probably better.

HB_xxx

I agree completely that I hate auto correct when using a keyboard because my mistakes are fewer and I would prefer the red underline with the spell check at the end. when it autocorrects it often just picks the wrong word!

However....it would be nice when the on screen keyboard is in use to have suggestions that do not require you to click next to the word on the screen. They are so far away from the keys at the bottom. I am getting spoiled using Swiftkey on my Android.

J515OP

Super Moderator
This has been talked about in quite a few threads. That is indeed the reason why auto-correct works that way. When using the on screen keyboard there is an insert button that appears for predictive words.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

There is a way to specifically turn on autocorrector in browsers but cant recall. How do we do that again?

dlacaba

I agree, Autocorrect has always given me more problems rather than fixing them, especially in business where acronyms and odd named product names are common, autocorrect usually steers you in the wrong way.

I do hope they implement a system like Blackberry's though, I love typing on my Z10 because of their predictive text system. Allows you to type what you want, but gives an easy option to select autotext easily. I've never seen Android's swiftkey, wonder if it works the same?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yep, predictive keyboards are far better than auto correct. The best ones are all this way including Android.

HB_xxx

I agree, Autocorrect has always given me more problems rather than fixing them, especially in business where acronyms and odd named product names are common, autocorrect usually steers you in the wrong way.

I do hope they implement a system like Blackberry's though, I love typing on my Z10 because of their predictive text system. Allows you to type what you want, but gives an easy option to select autotext easily. I've never seen Android's swiftkey, wonder if it works the same?

SwiftKey is similar to the blackberry Z10, but it puts the suggestion above the entire keyboard rather than over the individual keys. I think the blackberry may be a bit better. Not sure.

dlacaba

SwiftKey is similar to the blackberry Z10, but it puts the suggestion above the entire keyboard rather than over the individual keys. I think the blackberry may be a bit better. Not sure.

That sounds just like my HTC Windows Phone 8S. I personally like the Z10 better just because the word appears right above the letter you are expecting to type so you don't need to keep looking above the keyboard to see if the word is there.