What's new

I bought an iPad, might sell the SP4

Plantje

Is that so? I am happy with my Surface 3. However, I must admit that the app gap is becoming more of an issue every time! I really think Microsoft NEEDS to step up there and do something about it. The reason a lot of people don't want Windows phones and tablets is not because they think the operating system sucks. It's just because they cannot just run apps that they want.
I am pretty sure if (I know it is not possible, but let's keep that thought) it were possible to install iOS apps on Windows phones and tablets a lot of people would not hesitate long to pick a Windows phone or tablet as their new device! Because, why not?

kristalsoldier

Been a happy camper with first the SP3 which I have been using for the last two years or so - ever since launch day in N. America), which I augmented with the S3 (which replace the iPad Air for me) and now the SP4.

The SP4 is my main device and the S3 is my dedicated tablet/ notetaking device. I did use the SP3 as a tablet sometimes but not frequently. I do plan to use the SP4 more as a sketching pad in addition to it being my main computer.

I am looking forward to upgrading the S3 with its successor, if MS releases one, that is.

Gtfeckner

I know this is an old thread, but I will comment anyway.

I felt exactly the same way as the original poster with my first SP4. I thought my device was unstable because of all those problems with immature software and drivers so many people were complaining about. I also thought I should switch to Apple. I didn´t trust my Surface Pro 4, to the point of taking with me my old laptop, because I didn´t know if my SP4 would just crash in the middle of a public presentation (sure enough, sometimes it did...).

Well, it turned out it wasn´t a software issue. My unit was faulty. It was some kind of hardware problem. I returned it to MS and in 96 hours had a replacement one.

Everything has been great since then, I use the device heavily and hasn´t crashed once. It´s working really well, and has become the most satisfying computing product I´ve ever had.

I think the drivers issues have been, for the most part, fixed. Only some very minor glitches remain (my unit still flickers sometimes at minimum brightness settings, but it´s not often, nor very severe). So for those experimenting severe instability, I´d suggest returning their units and trying with a new one.

It worked for me, and completely changed my opinion on the SP4.

mva5580

I get why you typed all of that out the way you did on a site like this, but it's unfortunate that you feel the need to almost apologize or say things like "one of those people" to make it sound like you feel iPad users are inferior or something.

I'm typing this from an iPad Pro 12.9 and I am someone who frequents this site because for years I have wanted a Surface Pro to replace my iPad, and every time I've tried one of them (I've bought SP2 through 4,) I end up returning them/selling them as I just end up disappointed. My personal opinion is unless you are someone who absolutely N-E-E-D-S the things that a Windows PC can do that an iPad can't, then there's really very little reason to own a Surface Pro beyond some kind of Apple bias. If you want a very functional device in a tablet form factor, an iPad just has a better user experience, apps that work far, far better in a smaller/touch screen interface, and obviously much longer battery life.

A Surface Pro is a laptop that just happens to look like a tablet, an iPad is an actual tablet. I've tried so many times to like a SP as I would like having a full on PC in a tablet form factor, but as I've said I just always end up disappointed. If I had never used an iPad, maybe I'd be ok with it. But even without the comparison of iPad app ease of use vs. Windows 10 trying to be tablet friendly and failing, like you stated these things just seem to have constant issues with basic things that you don't want to deal with in a device such as this.

They're great looking devices, and like I said if you are someone who absolutely positively needs what a Windows PC can do in the form factor of a tablet, then I understand why you own one. But if you're of the mindset "It would be cool to have a PC the size of a tablet," you just may end up being someone who is frustrated by the shortcomings. I fully understand that an iPad Pro 12.9 costs just as much as a SP and that the SP is capable of more, but for me personally, the extra things it's capable of are just not worth the trade off of much worse battery life, less reliable, and just not as pleasant to use for the relatively basic things I use it for.

Plantje

I have never owned an iPad. I played with an Android tablet (cheap thing that couldn't run all apps that I wanted, so I still had an app gap) for a few weeks. For some of us the reason for holding off is just plain and simple: money!
If I had the money to play around with an entire Microsoft-based setup today and switch to Apple (just to see what I like more), I would do it! But the thing is: I don't.

For example: I am sort of in the market for a fitness wearable. I can do the obvious thing for me and go for the Microsoft Band 2. Still, the Band 3 might be around the corner. Next to that I heard some troubling stories about the build quality of the Band (2 ). If I take a good look I see the Samsung Gear S2 is looking nice as well! Waterproof, I believe you can switch the actual bands. But it only works with Android phones. So, I do not only need to think of what my next and first fitness wearable will be, I need to take in account which direction I am heading with my digital life. Agreed that sounds a little bit more dramatic than it is. If I move to the Samsung Gear S2 and switch to an Android phone, what's the use of still having a Surface 3 tablet?

Don't forget, there are still some advantages in having everything running Windows 10. For example: if I connect one device to a WiFi network I can connect other devices automatically. If I store a password for a website it is automatically available on other devices as well. These are the things that people often forget.

polbit

OP,I was in the same boat. I tried using my SP for serious work (development and design), and it was just not working. My dream of one device to rule them all was just that - a dream. I ended up buying a top-spec Asus ROG 17" machine for serious work, and delegating casual duties to an iPad.

After a while, I really started to miss the full PC in a tablet experience. iPad really is just so limited in what it can do. even web browsing is not the same, not to mention file system, etc. And an occasional VS coding session in bed of course...

I know first-hand how frustrating SP can be when it's not running right. I've had a love/hate relationship with them since the original SP. In between, I've tried XPS 12, Yoga 900, Spectre x360, but none of them gave me the tablet experience I was looking for. I know there are more choices now, but before you sell it, I would give it one more try, from scratch, and with manually updating all the drivers. I've done it with the SP4 I just bought, and so far (almost 20 hours :) ), it's been flawless...

OP
macmee

macmee

So the surface has been abit nicer since AU. Mostly Bash for Windows has made it at least useful for software development. Still doesn't beat the ipad for web browsing, notes or reading though.

polbit

So the surface has been abit nicer since AU. Mostly Bash for Windows has made it at least useful for software development. Still doesn't beat the ipad for web browsing, notes or reading though.

Interesting, web browsing and OneNote are few of the things that made me go back to the SP4.