What's new

For those who are having WLAN Issues - (Possible Fix - Tested for the last 48 hours)

WorldIRC

My issue with WiFi is connecting to 5ghz networks (Wireless-N); I get limited connectivity until I disconnect / reconnect.

Can you please outline the steps you need to take to uninstall updates so you can manually install the updates?

I'm not sure what update file names are needed to be uninstalled, etc.

Much appreciated, thanks!

TGT

Jeff,
I tried your steps above. But it did no help. Can you confirm you uninstall (and delete driver) only for the Marvell Avastar network adapter. Do I need to uninstall any other drivers?

I also have slow wifi on the SP3 and have not been able to make it faster. My download speed is only 3 MBS. Other devices are getting more than 50 MBS per second download. I have a Linksys E1500 router (type N at 2.4 ghz). It does not have a 5 ghz option. I live in rural area and do not have interference with other households.

I tried many solutions including:
- have the latest updates
- reset windows to factory config twice
- Tried the previous version of the Marvell driver
- updated my router firmware
- talked to MS support for two days for a few hours each day

Thanks,
Ted
disabled the adapter and reset my system as mentioned above

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Before you start make sure you download the June Update Pack for the SP3 from the link in the first post, I would save it in your downloads folder personally and unzip it there...

Step One - Open up Device Manager (either through the Admin Control Panel or Navigate to it from Computer Management MMC by right clicking on the "This PC" Icon in the Tree View of an explorer Window and selecting Manage

Step Two - In Device Manager navigate to the Network Adapters and expand

Step Three - Right Click on the Marvell Avastar Wireless Network Controller and Select Uninstall - when the dialog box comes up check the box that says Delete The Drivers Software from this Device

Step Four - Reboot

Step Five - Plug and Play will install the Original Drivers (Unless you've ran disk clean-up and removed a bunch of stuff)

Step Six - Adding this as it was pointed out to me, run Windows Update and it will offer the June Updated Drivers (I hid this Update as I didn't want it to install it)

Step Seven - Return to Device Manager and navigate to the Marvell Avastar Adapter and right click and select update drivers, tell the Update Wizard to browse your computer and navigate to C:\Users\<yourusernamehere>\Downloads\Surface Pro 3 - June 2014\Marvell\wlan and allow it to update...

And you're done....don't update anything else, don't over think, keep it simple.

If you are not comfortable with this type of stuff - DON'T DO IT!!! Microsoft is working on an updated driver that should be available shortly

mohcho

Well... so far so good. Running on battery and wifi only and it seems to have stayed up for the last few hours.

I didn't do all the steps with the Windows update, but once I uninstalled it and deleted the drivers, I rebooted and it found the original drivers and then updated manually from the downloaded file.

kundas1

I find it funny how people were having trouble with the 2.4GHz band with their SP2 and then now people are having trouble with the 5GHz band on the SP3... MS can't get the BOTH to work properly? LOL

CaptMurphy

I've swapped drivers and tried plugged in. Speed was exactly the same either driver, plugged/unplugged. About 1/8th the speed of my macbook pro, both sitting within 10' of an airport extreme. (802.11 N not C).

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've swapped drivers and tried plugged in. Speed was exactly the same either driver, plugged/unplugged. About 1/8th the speed of my macbook pro, both sitting within 10' of an airport extreme. (802.11 N not C).

You're surprised that your MacBook Pro connects better to an Apple Airport Extreme???? Have you checked that you're on the latest Firmware as an "N" level product most likely has never encountered the Marvell WLAN Adapter especially the AC version...