What's new

Get or not to get warranty!

k90211lee

Planning to buy SP4. I'm already max out my budget on i5 8g model. I'm not sure it worth while to get $150 warranty for the unit. What's your opinion?

K.

leeshor

It's one of the better warranties out there but it depends on how you will be using your SP.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some things to think about: What's your track record on not damaging things? if you are accident prone it may be worth it. What's the impact to you if it does get damaged?

Insurance is a bet against probability that more money will be collected than paid out in claims. The odds are most people wont need it but without it, as an expense you need to be able to absorb the loss in case something does happen. That may mean doing without or paying for repair or replacement. Do you feel lucky, well, do ya?

Personally I dislike insurance because I have never used it, meaning never had an incident for which I filed a claim, so I feel like I paid all this money for nothing.

Bad things happen to those that can't afford it. Really; if you can afford it, it's not so bad and if you can't then it is. It's maddening.

Finally, how would you pay for either scenario?
A. $150 for insurance + any fees at time of claim.
B. Total cost of repair/replacement OR do without repair/replacement.

If one of those presents as impossible the final option is: Do without, i.e. don't purchase at all.

Good luck.

Compusmurf

Well, Murphy's law loves me. 90% of the time I never need it, and it seems that the only thing ever breaks for me is the items I didn't get a warranty on. :)

I consider it "buying peace of mind".

That being said, I live in the lightning capital of North America and that's nearly EVERY single time I've had to use warranties like this. My TV has been replaced 2x, blueray player 1, xbox 1, all Verizon's equipment has been replaced (all those under warranty) I have a larger list of things that were replaced (or not) that didn't have a warranty.

leeshor

Well, Murphy's law loves me. 90% of the time I never need it, and it seems that the only thing ever breaks for me is the items I didn't get a warranty on. :)

I consider it "buying peace of mind".

That being said, I live in the lightning capital of North America and that's nearly EVERY single time I've had to use warranties like this. My TV has been replaced 2x, blueray player 1, xbox 1, all Verizon's equipment has been replaced (all those under warranty) I have a larger list of things that were replaced (or not) that didn't have a warranty.
You may want to consider something like this, at the minimum

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR700G-Ba...ie=UTF8&qid=1445528907&sr=8-1&keywords=br700g

I worked in the Clearwater area back in the early 80s selling very power sensitive point of sale equipment. I know what you're going through with the power and storms.

bluegrass

Personally I would put off your purchase until you can afford the insurance. It's perfectly normal to not ever need it but it's there in case you do and it will give you a lot more peace of mind, which means a lot in this hectic world we live in.

Compusmurf

Lol leeshor, have surge, arrestors, ups, whole house systems. Nothing really stops a near or direct strike.

leeshor

Lol leeshor, have surge, arrestors, ups, whole house systems. Nothing really stops a near or direct strike.
I pointed out that specific UPS for a reason. I also use a lot of the APC Smart 750s. Most of the UPSs sold out there are more like a standby power supply. There is a line of UPSs with full time protection from surge, common mode noise, under and over voltage, spikes etc. I have never had a storm take out a computer or any other electronics that was protected by one of those. Never! It sounds like you have surges covered but there's more to it than that. Of the 60 or so businesses I support, the ones using these have far fewer of any hardware related problems than those who use the cheaper UPSs.

And to repeat, not one loss from a storm or lightening strike.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only you can really answer. Read the above.

Personally, I bough the warranty on the sp3 because of certain personal reasons, but I take great care of all devices. If I couldn't afford it though, as in happily just blink away a few hundred, then I wouldn't have. And have not bought any insurance for the s3. And won't be for the sp4

leeshor

I'm looking at the cost/value of the warranty. If it was your standard warranty I would probably consider passing, but it's a no fault warranty. Something most vendors don't even offer. You knock it off the coffee table, it's covered.

Johnny365

I never dropped, cracked, broken any device I owned but have had insurance on several of them during their use. I do have insurance (through Squaretrade) on my iPhone 6 Plus, but only as a precautionary measure, but again, I never had any accidents.

You can look at it this way, you could be like me, without any problems EVER, and something malfunctions or occurs beyond your control. Maybe the screen cracks while in your bag on the passengers seat and you brake suddenly causing it to fall and that small jolt does damage.

$150 isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of how expensive these things are.

malberttoo

Planning to buy SP4. I'm already max out my budget on i5 8g model. I'm not sure it worth while to get $150 warranty for the unit. What's your opinion?

K.

The Surface is made to be handled and taken out into the world. That itself is grounds for disaster.

But even more than that is the many, many posts on this forum about a screen cracking "out of nowhere" (several around the area of the camera hole) or some other weird thing that you will be hard-pressed to convince Microsoft that it wasn't your fault.

The Complete warranty on the Surface is a total no-brainer. Without it, anything happens at all to that Surface and you are out the entire cost, end of story. WITH it, you're only out the $49 deductible.