What's new

Get pro4 or wait for 5

mcostan

I currently have the surface 2RT and an older Toshiba laptop. After I got my surface I hardly ever cranked up the laptop.

The RT's don't seem to be supported anymore and there are sites I can't go to on my surface 2 anymore.

I really really want a new surface and was ready to pull the trigger on the surface 4 pro bundle.

I don't want an unsupported machine in a year and the pro 5's are allegedly going to be out soon.

What would be the best choice? I don't want to deal with the bugs of a new product and I'm not sure about the cost of the new ones.

I was hoping the pro 4 prices would be lower. Do the members think the pro4 prices will be going down much more?

I mostly use it for my finance spreadsheets, paying bills online, I would like to go to TD ameritrade on it, I never could really use that site with my surface 2.

I use one note a lot in conjunction with my spreadsheets. I also watch a lot of YouTube and other media, plus music. I don't play games at all.

The one I would choose is the 256/8G/i5 configuration with office personal and the 2 year warranty which comes in at 1468 from the Microsoft store.

The lesser unit is a better discount and might serve me just as well. I'm concerned that I would want more storage with a more capable unit.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I was pretty disappointed in the apps available for my 2 but it was so useful in desktop mode it turned out to not be an issue until recently when PDF reader quit working. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it seems to function.

Exhile

I say wait for the Surface Pro 5 and see if it pushes the price of the Surface Pro 4 down. Currently, the SP4 is an excellent machine and it would be interesting to see what improvements the SP5 presents.

Compusmurf

On the bright side for you, you have options. I'd wait for the 5 to come out, then watch ebay and craigslist get flooded with used sp4's as new buyers rush to sell the old ones.

OP
M

mcostan

That's probably what I'll do. I'm hoping the non-used ones will come down in price.

I've also been looking at other laptops like the HP and Thinkpad. I want something thin and no bloatware.

OP
M

mcostan

I wound up getting a Dell. I've been on a tight budget lately and it was on sale. After I bought it I saw how horrendouslyhorrible their customer service was and felt the need to purchase an extended warranty so I probably saved very little is anything.

Its been working fine though and has the features I wanted so I guess it turned out.

I might get one the surfaces anyway as I may have some money coming in. I'll probably wait till the pro5 prices come down a little. I guess it all boils down to how much home maintainance comes up this year.

Hi. I have to make a decision as well. I can get a Surface Pro 4 i5 financed my bank. I will need a new device by September for an online course I will be teaching. Sadly, my beloved Surface 2 won't cut it. I will survive.

I still have time, since I need it for September. I am weighing all options. I am wishing that the Surface 5 will be out before September and pricing will be a major factor for me as well.

Cheers,

Shawn

MickeyLittle

Hi. I have to make a decision as well. I can get a Surface Pro 4 i5 financed my bank. I will need a new device by September for an online course I will be teaching. Sadly, my beloved Surface 2 won't cut it. I will survive.

I still have time, since I need it for September. I am weighing all options. I am wishing that the Surface 5 will be out before September and pricing will be a major factor for me as well.

Cheers,

Shawn
Yes you do have time and might get a good deal on a new SP4 around July or August. From what I have read (rumors mind you) the SP5 really won't have much more to offer consumers than the SP4.

Thanks MickeyLittle for your reply. I was thinking the same the thing. I will wait and see what happens in the end. The i5 works for me because I do not do video editing, nor am I a serious gamer.

Thanks again and have a great week.

Cheers,

Shawn

MickeyLittle

Thanks MickeyLittle for your reply. I was thinking the same the thing. I will wait and see what happens in the end. The i5 works for me because I do not do video editing, nor am I a serious gamer.

Thanks again and have a great week.

Cheers,

Shawn
Same here as I have the i5 Surface Book and it flies thru everything I throw at it. But I'm not a gamer or video editor. And you have a great week also!

Mickey

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on my own experience(s) - running out and paying full price for my Surface Pro 4 WAS worth it. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would wait. Who knows, the Surface Pro 5 could end up catching fire (heaven forbid) and there could be other issues to hammer out as with any new product. As mentioned, once the SP5 hits the market, there will be a boatload of people trying to sell their SP4's. You could catch a really good deal. Also maybe inquire about the current status of the warranty, you might catch one with an extended warranty that is transferable to you.

However - I HIGHLY recommend the Surface Pro 4 - Over the last 1.5 yrs, it has proven to be a powerful, reliable machine. One of the best that I didn't build myself - It has ripped through anything I threw at it. It keeps up with multi-tasking and is the perfect resolution for travel.

SP4, i7, 256 - BEAST OF A MACHINE.......... Please let us know which way you decide to go and how it works out for you. I'm curious as heck - Thanks in Advance.

MickeyLittle

Based on my own experience(s) - running out and paying full price for my Surface Pro 4 WAS worth it. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would wait. Who knows, the Surface Pro 5 could end up catching fire (heaven forbid) and there could be other issues to hammer out as with any new product. As mentioned, once the SP5 hits the market, there will be a boatload of people trying to sell their SP4's. You could catch a really good deal. Also maybe inquire about the current status of the warranty, you might catch one with an extended warranty that is transferable to you.

However - I HIGHLY recommend the Surface Pro 4 - Over the last 1.5 yrs, it has proven to be a powerful, reliable machine. One of the best that I didn't build myself - It has ripped through anything I threw at it. It keeps up with multi-tasking and is the perfect resolution for travel.

SP4, i7, 256 - BEAST OF A MACHINE.......... Please let us know which way you decide to go and how it works out for you. I'm curious as heck - Thanks in Advance.

I'm curious as heck as to what Shawn gets as well. Oh and you left something off on your item's description that is important... I bet your Beast of a Machine has 16gigs of ram doesn't it? No biggie but the extra 8 makes a difference when it comes to heavy lifting. But I have never noticed and lag with my 8 gigs because of my usage. Web browsing with 8-10 tabs open, Excel pivot tables 40 megs in size up to 2-3 open at a time, One Note switching back and forth between my 3 notebooks with no pause, and the other basics such as email, etc.

So yeah... I agree on these being Beasts of Machines!