What's new

Group Names for Tiles - Suggestions

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I've been asked about Group Names I use for tiles.
Maybe some of these names would be useful to you, too.

Here are the names I use:

Main (I keep this compact)

See & Hear (video, movies, tracks, radio)

News & Sites (shortcuts to News websites, favorite sites, blogs, companies or other information or hobby sites)

Office & Money
(Microsoft Office apps, calculators, finance, my banking, insurance, tax, units conversion)

Navigate (maps, compass apps, GPS)

Clocks & Timers
(clocks, timers, alarm clocks)

Read & Study (Kindle, magazines, reference sites, dictionaries)

Travel & Shop (shopping sites, hotel sites, travel booking)

Communicate (Skype, phone apps, cloud apps, OneDrive, iCloud, DropBox, Evernote, LogmeIn, VNC apps, VPN apps)

Photo & Art (photo, graphics and editing, creativity, Instagram, Text markup and graphics)

Play (games and fun)

System & Utilities (control panel, Start8, printer apps, speed test, networking)

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (11).png

Last edited:

TunaSurface

Wow you have a lot groups. I only have two, my most used and and others.
I'd love if I could add folders to the Metro UI though, so it would be faster to find certain apps.

jrhillma

What is that date/time tile? I can't seem to get mine (the default Calendar app, I guess) to display the time. I have to swipe in to get the charm bar and the time/battery/wifi popup. A tile that shows the time would be nice.

beq

Great thread sharpcolorado, thanks.

Our SP2's were my first serious effort into the Windows 8 app ecosystem, so I ended up purchasing/installing about 300 metro apps the first month. It took that long because the the Windows Store had a penchant to lock down my account after having made multiple purchases in quick succession, then I'd have to wait a couple of days before I can buy more (I tried different CC's and PayPal but always encountered this phenomenon).

Anyways for my family I decided on the convention to put only metro app tiles on the Start Screen, and only desktop app icons on the desktop. Actually I went ahead and placed all the installed metro apps on the Start Screen, and the important desktop apps on the desktop. So the Apps screen is only used to locate secondary desktop apps (I have desktop apps set to be listed first before metro apps).

It's always an ongoing effort, but I currently have these metro tile groups:

Main
News/Finance
Internet
Health/Sports
Dining/Shopping
Travel
Music
Movies/TV
Image/Video Editing
Reference/Books
Utilities
Kids
Games (this is the largest group and so I sorted it alphabetically out of laziness)

P.S. This has actually been more manageable than our iPad/iPhones, for which over the years I had accumulated then culled an ongoing set of about 800 apps on each device. The effort of organizing each app into the same folders and arrangement, then setting up each one, on everyone's devices, was really mind-numbing. Not to mention the costs since I always chose the paid version of apps, and bought all the IAP's (it's kind of an OCD impulse)...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping and updating this topic for the benefit of the new Surface Pro 3 owners around here, many of whom are also new at Windows 8.1 .

Last edited: