What's new

Has anyone attempted to/succeeded at upgrading the SSD storage?

Johnny365

I know ifixit and others rank it 1/10 for the difficulty with removing the screen to open up the insides. Have any of you been successful in removing the screen and upgrading the SSD? Is there a professional service that does this?

leeshor

That would require a board level modification. I don't feel anyone other than the manufacturer would be qualified to even try.

VickiFL

I'm not sure any techs would be comfortable working on a Surface. I don't believe it is user serviceable either. I know I wouldn't ever want to do it. I found this video a long time ago, and had to resolve myself to the fact that the Surface is just not a serviceable machine. Dare I say it out loud, disposable. I hate to even think of my SP3 like that. Anyway, check out this video and see how hard it is to crack one of these open.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some yahoo cut open the magnesium case on the back and replaced an SSD.. I think the odds of success on that are very low, one slip or a mm too deep and you have an expensive paper weight even with success your left with an ugly hole in the case and you warranty is over.

OP
J

Johnny365

Okay, thanks. I thought maybe you guys perfected a method of doing it with a higher success rate. In any case, I think with my budget and needs, I'll go with the SP3 i5 128/4GB