What's new

has surface 3 enticed you to skip sp3-4 ??

now that it has full blown windows, it has kind of put me on the fence. With sp3 I had to re-evaluate what I was using the tablet for due to throttling, though I like the form factor better than sp2 it couldn't quite meet the demand the sp2 did. I don't think a tablet will ever replace my "work horse" machine, so I have a sager power house laptop but I hate carrying it around @ 8 lbs + . Also I have a note 4 and even though its a large phone it still doesn't deliver enough screen size to really do any work on it so now Im thinking the surface 3 may be a better fit for me than sp3 or 4.

TPadden

......I don't think a tablet will ever replace my "work horse" machine......
Everyone has different wants and needs when it comes to computing. I have a hard time understanding why we try to justify our purchases by asking how others satisfy their requirements. To answer your question though: YES.

I travel by motorcycle and compute on the go. I have a SP2 and I am very happy with the way it fits my needs other than a couple minor niggling things. The size and proprietary charging alone kept me on the fence with the SP3-4. My S3 arrives today .......

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
With sp3 I had to re-evaluate what I was using the tablet for due to throttling, though I like the form factor better than sp2 it couldn't quite meet the demand the sp2 did.

I don't think a tablet will ever replace my "work horse" machine, so I have a sager power house laptop but I hate carrying it around @ 8 lbs + .

Also I have a note 4 and even though its a large phone it still doesn't deliver enough screen size to really do any work on it

Im thinking the surface 3 may be a better fit for me than sp3 or 4.
Self contradictory, I guess you'll have to decide what you want to do with it. What you're use cases are. It's unrealistic to think it will fit every use case (power use cases). it's unrealistic to think it will do everything. It's not unrealistic to look for a device that will do more of the things you want to do. Now we have another option to fill a mix of needs with unique power and portability attributes.

Every computer ever made and every computer that will ever be made is a jumble of tradeoffs between processing power, energy requirements, heat/cooling, portability, etc. etc. and everyone has a different take on what the right balance is for them.

WorldIRC

I don't care about specs, persay. I have 3 or 4 apps that I run...our CRM, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
My concerns with the SP3 were that it was too large, it got too hot, fans were always spinning, the WiFi bug, and battery drain while sleep.
If the S3 can run my apps and address the concerns I mentioned, then I will be happy. My SP2 was great and I regret selling it when the SP3 came out.

tubers

Pretty sure S3 (Atom) is quite weaker than SP2 (i5).

You'll probably still have to lug that Sager if you need more power on the go (SP2 and above power).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If SP4 is Broadwell based I can't imagine why you might upgrade if you have an SP3. We will see what they come up with but it would need much more than a SoC change to be compelling or even interesting. Skylake on the otherhand should be compelling on it's own.

The reasons to choose Surface 3 vs Pro3/4 have to do with size & weight, comfort, portability not performance. If you're thinking of comparing performance you're probably thinking wrong.

mtalinm

SP3 owner here. I am honestly considering selling it because I love the S3 so much. It is just light-er and small-her enough to be really usable as a tablet. And I think I can work with an HD screen in 3:2 ratio (whereas 16:9 never worked for me).

Just can't bring myself to drop $200 on the Dock.

InspectHerGadget

There are way too many compromises with the surface 3.

If it had the Core M in it and PCI-e solid state storage, it would be interesting and a powerhouse in an ultra portable form.

It is what it is though and was in the Surface 2, something classy, ultraportable but for light duties only.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are way too many compromises with the surface 3.

If it had the Core M in it and PCI-e solid state storage, it would be interesting and a powerhouse in an ultra portable form.

It is what it is though and was in the Surface 2, something classy, ultraportable but for light duties only.
I agree and I would very much like to see a Skylake Core-M version in the 10.8 size with SSD not eMMC and USB-C NOT micro USB charging.

The Surface 3 all in all is much better than Surface 2 but with caveats especially with micro USB charging.

netuser

SP3 was never under consideration. So, it is not as if I would have otherwise purchased a SP3.
At the size and cost of the SP3, I would rather have a regular Ultrabook up to 13 inches.
I don't see any real alternative option for the Surface 3 that has all the specs I want in this size, weight and cost.
It is quite difficult to find well-under 3 lb laptops with at least 8 hours battery life, TPM, backlit keyboard and a Pro version of Windows under $800 or even under $1000. Dell XPS 13 doesn't work either since they don't have any TPM support in US models.
If you take things off that list, you can find alternatives, but if you want everything, I don't think there is another option at this time.
There may be other choices later this year as more Core M and Cherry Trail laptops are released.

jrioux

Actually, when the S3 was announced, I immediately bought a 128GB SP3. The S3's Atom chip just didn't cut it for me. If the S3 had the Core M chip, at least as an option, I would have waited to compare the two computers in person before deciding.

InspectHerGadget

Actually, when the S3 was announced, I immediately bought a 128GB SP3. The S3's Atom chip just didn't cut it for me. If the S3 had the Core M chip, at least as an option, I would have waited to compare the two computers in person before deciding.
We're probably expecting the impossible. The Core M is a totally different chipset that would require other design changes. It might not easily fit into the design for the Pro 3/4 or the Surface 3. It is a nice thought though and this is the approach that Apple took with the MacBook, ultraportable, PCI-e storage and Core M. Look at the price difference though. Huge.

You don't get anything for nothing but I can't help thinking that the Core M needs to be in their product line up somewhere and soon.