What's new

Surface 3 or Surface Pro 4?

k789

Hello surface forumites

So as the thread asks Surface 3 or Surface pro 4? I don't know which one to buy. Let my start off by explaining my situation.

I have a laptop that needs to be replaced. It's very old and nothing special, a core duo I think. In terms of power both the Surface 3 and the Surface pro 4 are better than my current laptop. Now as you'd probably expect, I can't really do much with my laptop. But then again I don't intend to do more than what I currently do. I web browse, create and edit documents, work on excel, watch movies...that's about it.
I'm quite the nomad so having a computer in the form factor of a tablet is ideal for me.
I love that the surface 3 has an lte varient and the size is perfect for reading books and magazines, also it doesn't have a fan. The surface pro 4 design is great and way more powerful than both my current laptop and the surface 3 (I'm thinking of getting the i5) but doesn't have lte. My issue is the price but the surface pro 4 would be better long term if I decide to expand my computing habits.

So this is what I'm thinking. I can get the Surface 3 with lte and if I decide one day that I need more power then I can get a conventional laptop in future. If I buy the Surface pro 4 I'd keep it for as long as I've kept my laptop (over 5 years) but its price is making me second guess.
Please help. What should I do?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In your case I would recommend the Surface 3. Buying more computer than you need is a waste and rarely pans out on the hypothetical future use case.

OP
K

k789

In your case I would recommend the Surface 3. Buying more computer than you need is a waste and rarely pans out on the hypothetical future use case.

Thanks GreyFox7. That's what my gut was telling me but it's nice to get a second opinion :)
Another question. Do you think there will be an 11inch Surface 4 to replace the Surface 3 next year? I'm wondering if I should wait for that

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd agree. If you did want a little more power just in case then i'd have no hesitation in suggesting a sp3 as they can be had for a really good price second hand.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whenever I check my crystal ball it gives me vague answers like: Reply hazy, Ask again later...
If you play the waiting game you lose the value of usage in the interim and there's always the promise of something better in the future.

OP
K

k789

I'd agree. If you did want a little more power just in case then i'd have no hesitation in suggesting a sp3 as they can be had for a really good price second hand.

Gosh I actually forgot the pro 3 exists haha. And I have seen i5 models go for pretty cheap nowadays...so I guess I should decide if I want the surface 3 or the pro 3. The pro 3 does have a higher resolution screen but it doesn't have lte.
Lol hughlle you brought me back to square one!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gosh I actually forgot the pro 3 exists haha. And I have seen i5 models go for pretty cheap nowadays...so I guess I should decide if I want the surface 3 or the pro 3. The pro 3 does have a higher resolution screen but it doesn't have lte.
Lol hughlle you brought me back to square one!

Haha. Sorry about that. But yeah, the SP3's are going for really tempting prices these days and are a hell of a machine.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
go fanless u wont regret it.

I certainly didn't. I certainly regretted not having a fast and responsive machine though. My S3 has been sat at the bottom of a pile of this that and everything for weeks now. Need to get around to selling it.

bronsky

If you're contemplating a Surface 3 and you can wait, I would. I expect the pixel sense controller added to the SP4 to be included in the S4 upgrade. That alone is worth the wait. There should be an upgraded keyboard as well. Finally, the new Atom should offer significant improvement in graphic capability, battery life and eMMC speed, stepping up to the eMMC 5.1 protocols instead of the Surface 3's 5.0

revmike

I tried to wait but the supposed surface 4, for me was and is just a dream and patience has never been one of my strong points. So I bought the S3 and I am very pleased, granted it is a tad slower that my sp2, which my wife took over. But I love the size of the s3 and the screen is great, plus the weight and thinness. If and when the 4 come to reality, who knows.