What's new

Has the surface totally replaced your tablet?

TheJokker

Flash, talk about a piece of poorly optimized software. There is a reason it has become nearly obsolete. You only need all that cpu power to browse the web when you try to run crap software like that.
Sour grapes: a good reason; just not a true reason.

Flash is still rather common on the internet (http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/cp-flash/all/all) and is hardly obsolete. It does run poorly on the iPad largely because it is sadly underpowered relative to real computers, laptops and tablets like the surface which can "easily" handle Flash.

zhenya

Sour grapes: a good reason; just not a true reason.

Flash is still rather common on the internet (http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/cp-flash/all/all) and is hardly obsolete. It does run poorly on the iPad largely because it is sadly underpowered relative to real computers, laptops and tablets like the surface which can "easily" handle Flash.

Flash is done. Youtube has deprecated it to 'last ditch' status. Sure, there will be plenty of sites that hold on to it for too long. Not what I'd want to hang my hat on though.

TheJokker

Yes, I know if I change my power settings each time I'd like to listen to some music, it works. Very convenient. Not to mention what that does to the battery life. An iPad can stream music for days on the battery because it can do so in its lowest power mode. Again, that 'heavily optimized' thing.

There is no reason that Google can't allow Youtube to play in the background. That is a limitation they are choosing to enforce, rather than one dictated by the platform. Further, there are multiple ways around it, from using the web browser to any number of 3rd party apps.
But it's not heavily optimized. Because it's cpu is so weak it is not going to need as much power to run therefore it will run longer on a battery.

Hence the moped analogy. A moped has a tiny engine and gets much better gas mileage than a motorcycle. If all you need to do is drive a couple miles a moped will do but a motorcycle will get you all around town; up and down the state or even cross country.

It sounds like you are very happy with your iPad however I like the greater options greater computing power offers.

zhenya

But it's not heavily optimized. Because it's cpu is so weak it is not going to need as much power to run therefore it will run longer on a battery.

Hence the moped analogy. A moped has a tiny engine and gets much better gas mileage than a motorcycle. If all you need to do is drive a couple miles a moped will do but a motorcycle will get you all around town; up and down the state or even cross country.

It sounds like you are very happy with your iPad however I like the greater options greater computing power offers.

You clearly have very little idea how modern computing works...

TheJokker

Flash is done. Youtube has deprecated it to 'last ditch' status. Sure, there will be plenty of sites that hold on to it for too long. Not what I'd want to hang my hat on though.
Of course you are an IT professional and an expert on the subject. You are not merely reciting Apple "sour grape" rationalizations. You of course can name those technologies that have filled the void created by Flashes demise...

zhenya

Of course you are an IT professional and an expert on the subject. You are not merely reciting Apple "sour grape" rationalizations. You of course can name those technologies that have filled the void created by Flashes demise...

Well, HTML5 being the primary one...

Microsoft's own Silverlight was another for a time.

You mistake my objectivity as sour grapes. I own a SP3. I have replaced my very expensive and quite new Thinkpad T440s with it. I'm a fan. I'm not a fanboy. Therein lies the difference.

TheJokker

Well, HTML5 being the primary one...

Microsoft's own Silverlight was another for a time.

You mistake my objectivity as sour grapes. I own a SP3. I have replaced my very expensive and quite new Thinkpad T440s with it. I'm a fan. I'm not a fanboy. Therein lies the difference.
Than you are aware that html5 has not lived up to expectations which accounts for the survival of Flash despite Apple's predictions. Likewise as per the link I provided above Flash is still used more than Silverlight. Flash does things very well and is cost effective to develop and deploy.

TheJokker

Your argument that html5 (after 4+ years of trying) is finally able to do what Flash has always been able to do in no way discounts the fact that iPads lack the horsepower to run Flash meaning iPads are less powerful than some rather ancient Windows XP machines that can handle Flash easily.

Technologies come and go but processing power (or rather lack of it) makes the tech world go around. iPads are not in the same class as the Surface.