What's new

Help w/Split Screen and Office

mcoastal

I am trying to set up split screen with internet and MS Office. Mostly so I can open links in emails in split screen. What I am finding is when I try and open a link in MS Office it opens a new IE window within the split screen where MS Office is already open versus the split screen. Could this be because my Office is opening in Desktop versus on it's own ala from the start screen. Do I need to somehow change that first to get it to work or is Windows not capable of doing what I am trying?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Outlook is a Desktop Application and will only open links to the desktop version of IE. You can get a 50/50 split on the desktop by snapping the desktop applications on each side of the monitor.

upload_2014-12-15_6-28-18.png

OP
M

mcoastal

Thanks Jeff. I still can't get it. Can you walk through step by step how to open and snap two programs into place in desktop mode. I can open 2 programs but not clear on snapping them into place. Problem is when I slide my finger in from the left nothing happens in desktop mode.. No apps come in.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is done by dragging the Windowed Application to the left of right bezel (act like you are dragging it to another monitor) and it will snap. I should also mention this will only work if you have one monitor or if you extended monitors they are stacked (SP3 on the bottom and extended on Top).

This video is from Windows 7 but it works the same in Windows 8.x Desktop:

OP
M

mcoastal

Ha! Got it. Thanks Jeff. I realized after you hold it over on either side for a sec the blue little window thing shows up then it snaps! Thanks.