What's new

hooray - a new Fimware!

jollywombat

Sleep issue seems to be resolved but my device still idles at 30+% CPU utilization (System and System Interrupts) causing the fans to kick in, mild overheating and fast batter drain. This is a brand new replacement device (finally) 100% stock no apps installed

Do you have an SD card installed?

Do you have an SD card installed?

Yes but the issue is related to the audio drivers, disabling the Realtek audio device is the only way I've found to stop the high idle CPU utilization. Something tells me this problem is way more widespread than previously reported if I received a brand new device and its experiencing this out-of-the-box.

jollywombat

You will find if you remove the SD card the issue will go away as well. Unsure why the SD card interferes with the audio drivers, but that is what we have seen. This drove me nuts when I first got the unit as well, I stopped using my SD card unless I need something specific from it until they fix this issue.

You will find if you remove the SD card the issue will go away as well. Unsure why the SD card interferes with the audio drivers, but that is what we have seen. This drove me nuts when I first got the unit as well, I stopped using my SD card unless I need something specific from it until they fix this issue.

since removing the SD card generates a sound, CPU utilization goes down briefly (as with any sound played) sure enough in a few seconds of ejecting the SD card, utilization creeps back up to 30%.

Rvacha

There are two primary issues in here and one of them - crash on wake aka the "black screen of death" - was not addressed by MS with the weekend firmware nor does it appear to have any relation to the SD card issue (other than the SD is actually an OLDER problem!) or Realtek driver. Just thought that should be clarified...

I once had an issue where the Realtek driver would prevent sleep, but I fixed it by getting the latest driver from Realtek. MS later issued that driver (actually a newer version) on Windows Update. For me the Realtek issue is gone. As for the Marvell drivers, I haven't tried to uninstall them yet, so I don't know if that addresses the high battery drain/hot SP2/failure to sleep and stay that way issue. I will hazard a guess that if the solution was THAT easy MS would already have fixed it

For now I suffer yet more with the crash on wake problem, which is now biting me 40% of the times I wake it. Dunno why it is happening now, with hibernate I had been getting much better success rate before.

Just my $0.02

Zkyevolved

What is everyone's consensus because I am wasn't having any issues with my device, and yet Microsoft wants me to install this new update to the firmware. I have my device set to only tell me when there are new updates and not to automatically update them. I saw how many people were having issues after the December update, and while I wasn't having any issues, I don't want this new update to change that!

So what do you guys think? Should the Jan 18 2014 FW update be installed? I thought I'd see more people talking about it. When people were having issues the MS Community wouldn't stop! But now that there is an update... I don't see many people talking about it... What do you think?

jrapdx

What is everyone's consensus because I am wasn't having any issues with my device, and yet Microsoft wants me to install this new update to the firmware. I have my device set to only tell me when there are new updates and not to automatically update them. I saw how many people were having issues after the December update, and while I wasn't having any issues, I don't want this new update to change that!

So what do you guys think? Should the Jan 18 2014 FW update be installed? I thought I'd see more people talking about it. When people were having issues the MS Community wouldn't stop! But now that there is an update... I don't see many people talking about it... What do you think?

My SP2 (replacement for one damaged by Dec10FW) has been working OK for the week I've owned it. The Jan FW "arrived" this AM. Since several messages in the forum said it caused no harmful effects, I decided to install it. (I know there were a couple of failures to install, but I took the chance anyway.)

To this point, no adverse changes are evident. Battery life seems no worse, and the meter indicator seems to be working (not reverting to "100%" or other anomalies). On the plus side, the computer seems to be entering sleep state appropriately, as much as I can tell over the last 5 hours (running on battery power).

IOW, so far, so good.

Last edited:
Firmware update for me seems to fix the wake up issue I had (woke up by itself after an hour, wouldn't go back to sleep, burning through battery). No battery capacity issues. Black screen after sliding up lock screen still there, but at least after I tap my picture password will show up so I just have to hit "Start over" and then log in normally with the picture password.

So not perfect, but at least an improvement.

Rvacha

Zky - If it were me I'd install the updates anyway. Some of these issues can be sporadic and flaky, so it is probably hard to say for sure you're not going to have a problem at some point. But that is just my opinion.

zurface

Okay... so I hate to dig up this whole firmware thing again but my problems continue and I don't know if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

A couple of days ago (monday), I thought I finally got the firmware update and all my problems would be solved. The biggest problem over the last month and a half has been the battery meter not displaying the correct charge (it would decrease but never increase when charged unless it was fully emptied). I got used to never knowing how long the battery would last. When the update arrived, I drained my battery, charged it to full, and managed to install the firmware update. I thought everything was back to normal but it isn't.

I realized today that the battery meter problem is still there. I went to check on my update history and it's not showing any updates installed since 12/30/2013 and I've definitely been installing every possible update this January. Now I'm not only worried about the battery meter glitch, but also about whether updates have been installing and if I'm going to have to do a full refresh soon... It's disheartening.