What's new

Horribly choppy streaming video Surface 3?

cricenog

Surface 3 4 gigs ram 128 gigs space.

I'm watching HBO Go in metro IE currently and its horribly choppy mainly with audio stutters, anyone know how to fix this? I've rebooted and updated and tried desktop IE with no luck. I've noticed the same with Amazon Instant Video Streaming. It's extremely frustrating and disheartening that this tablet cannot handle it, I've been totally enamored with the device otherwise. What happens is hard to explain I can try make a video, but it chops out in audio and you hear pops or drops, and the frame rate gets choppy at times. Mainly it seems to be with the audio.

Solid connection with Century link, stream to Mac, Xbox with no issues. Thanks!!

souldier

I have no experience with HBO Go, but have found netflix, xbox video, youtube to be very smooth. I could imagine that the problem isn't the surface 3, but the software has not yet been optimized for it.

OP
C

cricenog

I have no experience with HBO Go, but have found netflix, xbox video, youtube to be very smooth. I could imagine that the problem isn't the surface 3, but the software has not yet been optimized for it.

Netflix via the app and Xbox Video via the app have been fine, I have a few You Tube apps that seem fine as well - the issue seems to be specific with streaming via IE. I wonder if Chrome would be better potentially? I can try that.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only time I've encountered this is with the SP3 and windows 10 and Edge/IE with a second screen. S3 runs just fine for all video's I've tried

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried in Chrome and it actually seems better...let's hope EDGE is the same in Win 10!

Edge is a load of balls in win 10 if you ask me. Nowhere close to ready for release. I have chrome on both my sp3 and s3 because of it and am forced to use it frequently.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What kind of router do you have and is the firmware up to date? what type wifi connection 2 or 5 ghz, N or AC?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try reinstalling the Marvell wireless driver. i was having some funky wireless issues after the may update but reinstalling the driver last week seemed to clear it up.

OP
C

cricenog

Try reinstalling the Marvell wireless driver. i was having some funky wireless issues after the may update but reinstalling the driver last week seemed to clear it up.

Thanks for the info, what is the best way to do that? Via Device Manager - just uninstall and have it re-install automatically? Or is there a file somewhere? Thanks so much!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info, what is the best way to do that? Via Device Manager - just uninstall and have it re-install automatically? Or is there a file somewhere? Thanks so much!
Yep, uninstall in device manager don't remove the software, it should automatically redetect but sometimes you have to tell it to scan for changes. there is a download driver pack from MS if necessary.

OP
C

cricenog

No luck, also tried with the Intel sound driver. I think sad enough to say that Chrome appears to be the only solution, it's MUCH better, not as many frustrating choppy audio and crackles etc, I'll try take a video to explain more, it's like the audio drops, crackles, video gets choppy. Seems much better with Chrome.