What's new

How Did You Hear About SurfaceForums.net - The Premier Microsoft Surface Forum?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Cordell, I'm gonna be upfront with you, we're here but there's not a lot of activity here anymore.

paddypower

Welcome Cordell, I'm gonna be upfront with you, we're here but there's not a lot of activity here anymore.
Hi! I have been registered but inactive. I had a SP7. The battery power leaks, + it appears to have a small crack, bottom left corner. I decided to buy a new SP. I just got an incredible deal on another SP7, (i5chip 8/128) plus type case for US$560. It come with Win11Home. But I want to stick with Home 10. the screen asks me''get the latest''. How do I avoid downloading Home 11, which comes bundled with the hardware?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hooo boy. There is a can of worms here, @paddypower, regarding disabling of Windows Update. There are many agents within Windows software components which seek updates, and many even start the Windows Update Service. You can pause updates for a time, but there exists no permanent method to ban Windows Updates.

I understand your need to fight the upgrade. But the stress of fighting the upgrade may not be worth the struggle.

Windows 11 mostly changes (improves?) taskbar management and performance. Software compatibilities have not been an issue.

paddypower

Thanks for such a prompt reply. OK, I will go ahead and download home 11 to the new SP7. Then, my understandmg is that I can resotore my file history, data and apps, utilixzing the Windows 7 restore function. Is that correct. Im curious, how did the price i paid strike you? it was 20,500 Thai baht, including the type case, compared with 37,000 + 5600 as advertised at the other one major chain stores. Btw, I shopped at a large chain store,not online.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Windows 11 will install apps you owned, and your data, from OneDrive. You did indeed make a good deal with that price.

paddypower

I am a total newby regarding One Drive. I keep getting messages to upgrade. which I ignore. I have backed up to 2 external hardrives, always: following instructions to the letter. this included creating a special Win10 function. excuse me for not having its title at hand at the moment.

paddypower

problem: my old SP7 will not read eitehr fo the 2 back up hard drives. Let me proceed by downloading home 11 to my new SP7 and see if I can connect to either HD. it could be a cable problem, altho' i bought the most recent HD within the past 9 months. (Seagate 2 TB) .