What's new

How to go about creating a dock for my needs?

Rugbyguy541

So I thought I would ask the experts here for some ideas!

So the SP3 is my only computer right now, and I love it! I am getting some space so I can finally create a "office space". I have some specific needs, and was wondering if people had any ideas as to go about setting this up!

So basically, I will use my SP3 screen to write on alot, for school, so I need to be able to have it at a compressed angle to write on. I have a mechanical keyboard & mouse I want to have connected to it, and then have it connected to a second monitor. This would allow me to have my notes open in OneNote 2013 and writing on it and all of that, then I can click on the second monitor and input questions, look up stuff, have lecture videos going, and all of that, and have my external hard drive hooked up. I know the docking station would be great, but from as far as I can tell, it would not be good for the drawing on the SP3 portion of it, as it doesn't allow you to move the screen back. So any ideas as to how to go about this? This is a very crude (I am no artist) drawing of the setup I am talking about to give you a better idea!

Attachments

• SP3 setup.pdf
    241.5 KB · Views: 402

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In not sure what you mean by ... would not be good for drawing ... as it doesn't allow you to move the screen back. you totally lost me.

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

In not sure what you mean by ... would not be good for drawing ... as it doesn't allow you to move the screen back. you totally lost me.

When you put your SP3 into the dock it locks it in at that angle, thus preventing me from putting it back more to a better angle to draw on.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you put your SP3 into the dock it locks it in at that angle, thus preventing me from putting it back more to a better angle to draw on.
Ah, use a USB dock like
Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Dual Video Docking Station,
or Plugable UD-3900 USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station.

and you will save money too...

be77solo

All you will need is a USB hub minimum, unless your keyboard/mouse is Bluetooth, at which point you need nothing further.

If you want to minimize wires going to the SP3, use a USB Dock; just know video quality/capability is reduced with that option due to it transferring video to monitor through USB instead of display port.

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

All you will need is a USB hub minimum, unless your keyboard/mouse is Bluetooth, at which point you need nothing further.

If you want to minimize wires going to the SP3, use a USB Dock; just know video quality/capability is reduced with that option due to it transferring video to monitor through USB instead of display port.

is there any usb docks that also have a video spot?

be77solo

is there any usb docks that also have a video spot?
Yes, the docks GreyFox7 mentioned, as well as many others do include video with just a single USB. But, its not true display port quality. It is compressed to allow usage over USB and isn't as fast as using the display port connection.

For basic office usage they are simple and work well though

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, the docks GreyFox7 mentioned, as well as many others do include video with just a single USB. But, its not true display port quality. It is compressed to allow usage over USB and isn't as fast as using the display port connection.

For basic office usage they are simple and work well though
Maybe you would notice something playing intense games. I have never noticed any issues.

I use one external monitor with it but also have Ethernet plugged in and USB HDD. I downloaded gigabytes worth of Conference videos and stored them on the USB HDD while watching some of them as well and it was using the docking station Ethernet connection. I have USB keyboard and mouse connected to the dock as well and my USB printer.

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-SuperSpeed-8-Tablet-Compatible-ACP70USZ/dp/B005YR1PV2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1406758502&sr=8-7&keywords=usb 3 dock

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3900-Universal-2048x1152-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406758502&sr=8-1&keywords=usb 3 dock

Last edited:

JRed

Personally, I will try this one: http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/y-cabled-docking-station.html I should receive it in 5-7 days…

The Surface docking is very good. I have the SP2 with MS Dock for one of my user as a desktop/laptop replacement and she love it. I will also have a SP3 docking for another user, I already pre-ordered.

For myself, like Rugbyguy541, when I work I like to have my tablet lying flat in front of me as I’m constantly writing on it… I’m addict to OneNote… I also have millions of post-it all around!!! Small brain need to takes a lot of notes….

Currently my Lenovo ThinkPad 2 is always between me and my keyboard. I have a powerful desktop with 2 monitors, the setup is perfect. I had no reason to change it, but wanted to play with the new toys so I bought the SP3 i7. I will try to have it replace completely my “at work” desktop. Hope the performance will be good enough, I’m not such a power user, no game at work!…. At home we will see, not sure yet the SP3 is powerful enough…

I don’t want to overcharge the CPU so I prefer to have a DP adaptor for my 2 monitors… At work, for security reason, I need a wired network. It looks like the CLUB 3D SenseVision Y-Clabled Docking station is the one to go. It have a mini-DP1.2 AND a USB3.0 input, Ouptput is RJ45, 3x USB3.90 and 2x mini-DP.

I couldn’t find it anywhere in North America but at NCIX.COM http://www.ncix.com/detail/club3d-sense-vision-y-cabled-0a-100360.htm
There website list it as “back order” but I contacted them and they made a special order, I should receive it by next week. I will probably buy a BT mouse and KB to complete the setup.

I will give feedback as soon as I receive it.

Last edited:

astondg

With my SP1 I have an adjustable arm mounted to my desk that allows me to clip in my Surface and have it sit next to my monitor. I can also pull it closer and down to allow me to draw. I routed the USB, DisplayPort and power cables to the arm itself so that they didn't get in the way when I moved the Surface around. I wanted to keep video and USB separate rather than use a USB dock. My wife also has a Surface 2 and I connect dock it in the exact same way (I also have a HDMI cable on the arm).

The only problem with my set up is that I couldn't afford an expensive monitor arm so I purchased a cheaper one that isn't as sturdy and it makes drawing/writing on my Surface a delicate process. If I get the money in the future I'd really like to buy this type of arm and a VESA to tablet mount/clamp: http://www.amazon.com/Single-Monito...sr=8-8&keywords=adjustable+monitor+arm+spring

Check out the second picture where the monitor is at an angle perfect for drawing.

Right now I have an SP3 & official dock on order and I'm hoping I'm might be able to mount the dock to an arm like the one I linked to above so I can still draw on the Surface while it's docked.