What's new

How to map an INSERT key on your Surface Keyboard

mitchellvii

You may have noticed if you do much coding that the Surface Keyboard does NOT include an INSERT key. Big trouble for developers because we use our Insert key a lot.

Luckily there is a simple software fix that allows you to remap any of the keys on your Surface Keyboard to whatever you like. In my case I mapped F12 (Fn + PgDn) to INSERT. Piece of cake and works like a charm. Here's the software link:

KeyTweak - Download

3_scrnshot.jpg

** Warning: ** Softronic will install some crap on your rig if you choose "Express Installation". Choose "Custom Installation" and deselect the junk options and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

T3Jn

Have you tried to use this tool to force the function keys to work properly (i.e no need to be pressed with the fn button)?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Have you tried to use this tool to force the function keys to work properly (i.e no need to be pressed with the fn button)?

They list some Specialty Buttons at the right. I suppose if you wanted to lose the Specialty Functions you might be able to remap those to pure Function keys but you would lose that functionality. Better to just use the Fn + Combos.

Last edited:

T3Jn

Will have a play with the tool. Have never used the speciality buttons, need my F5/11/12 for debugging VS consistently with my main dev machine. Will post results - there is also a long running thread on the official MS Surface Support forum requesting inverting the FN key for standard function keys.

dotnetchris

They list some Specialty Buttons at the right. I suppose if you wanted to lose the Specialty Functions you might be able to remap those to pure Function keys but you would lose that functionality. Better to just use the Fn + Combos.

I don't know what version of stuff this applies to but you can use FN+CapsLock to toggle FN lock off and on. As a developer i need access to F5 far more than whatever helper it's tied to.