What's new

How to max out your CPU all the time (no throttling).

mitchellvii

Ok caveats. Proceed at your own risk. I have used this hack for years on my i5 ultrabook and never had an issue. However, if you try it and your Surface Pro 3 breaks, not my fault. You've been warned.

It's called Throttlestop (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2288/throttlestop-6-00/mirrors) and basically what it does is stop your cpu from throttling. This can come in handy during gaming, etc.

However, given the heat issue with the i5 and above, you might want to keep a close eye on that. Anything above 80C is getting toasty. I am running this right now on my i3 and haven't gotten above 62C just doing Office and web browsing. My CPU is remaining pretty much pegged at or near 1.5 ghz all the time.

Of course this will eat battery. I only enable it when I'm on AC. It does not start automatically so you must either start it when you want to use it or set up a rule to have it launch are startup. IMHO, I think it is better to launch manually only when you need the extra gas.

** Again, I've used this for years and never had a problem. Your computer may explode. Use at your own risk.

And yes, my Surface Pro 3 does seem noticeably faster using this. Have had it on for 2 hours now and still haven't gone above 63C or even had the fan turn on for that matter - all the while remaining pegged at close to 1.5 ghz constantly.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Here is a picture of my setup:

14ttt89.jpg

That is for the i3. It has a benchmarking utility so you can test various settings. The lower the benchmark value the better. No idea what best settings are for i5 and i7 on the SP3. I would just start out maxxed on everything including the multiplier then test and keep an eye on temps.

You want to try and stay under 80C (it can run higher safely but your tablet will get HOT).

As you can see from the image, I'm running my CPU maxxed and temps are only 61C. Has been like this all day.

Last edited:

FlySwatter

So, does this stop throttling completely, which could potentially result in overheating, or does it allow you to control when throttling occurs? I apologize for "not getting it".

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Just upgraded my i3 to an i5. Here are the settings I am using:

2cicw9y.jpg

Interesting that under this I have seen the CPU spike to 2.6 mhz which would indicate an actual overclock. Honestly, in most cases with the i5 this is not even necessary as the i5 stock is fast enough but under heavy load may be a benefit. Just keep an eye on temps. Mine seems to have maxxed out at 78C (running at 66C right now) which is warm but perfectly acceptable. Wouldn't let it go much higher.

Interesting that my benchmark test was half with this what it was with the i3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The standard clocking on the i5 has 26 and 29 Turboboost multipliers. Without any tweaks if I run XTU CPU Stress test it will run solid at 2.6/2.59 GHz until it feels the need to throttle. but if you click the Processor Frequency It will show 2.9/2.89 as the Max.

clocks.PNG