What's new

How to max out your CPU all the time (no throttling).

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Interesting GreyFox7.

While the Throttlestop is cool and seems to work for the i5 without causing anything to immolate, for most tasks I really see no need as I rarely do anything that requires max speed all the time. Am curious to hear from anyone who tries this hack while gaming to see where their temps go. Gaming is really the reason Throttlestop was created in the first place.

ctitanic

Just upgraded my i3 to an i5. Here are the settings I am using:

2cicw9y.jpg

Interesting that under this I have seen the CPU spike to 2.6 mhz which would indicate an actual overclock. Honestly, in most cases with the i5 this is not even necessary as the i5 stock is fast enough but under heavy load may be a benefit. Just keep an eye on temps. Mine seems to have maxxed out at 78C (running at 66C right now) which is warm but perfectly acceptable. Wouldn't let it go much higher.

Interesting that my benchmark test was half with this what it was with the i3.
But how is the Performance with games? That was the whole thing started. What gamers think about it?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I don't play games on this but I suppose I could run a 3DMark and see if the scores differ? Whats the best benchmark to emulate gaming?

OK, gonna run a 3DMark with it both enabled and disabled and see if scores vary.

What temp is the i5 supposed to throttle at again? Right now I have Throttlestop disabled and I'm getting up to 2.8ghz at 70C. Fan is blowing hard which seems odd as 70C isn't that hot. As a guy who is used to desktops that can sound like vacuum cleaners, this fan noise doesn't bother me at all.

** Something I've noticed. It seems whenever my CPU activity spikes to over 25% the fan kicks in, despite the CPU not being very hot. Downloading a big file right now and running at only 60C, but fan is blowing hard. CPU use is 26%.

Last edited:

ctitanic

I don't play games on this but I suppose I could run a 3DMark and see if the scores differ? Whats the best benchmark to emulate gaming?

OK, gonna run a 3DMark with it both enabled and disabled and see if scores vary.
Good question. I guess 3DMark it's.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well, can't run free version of 3DMark in windowed mode and not willing to do that without being able to watch temps. Someone who actually owns a full retail copy would have to do the test. Also, 3DMark is a gpu intensive test and that's really not what we are looking at here.

Want to test CPU performance.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Who knows. Wifi speeds seem fine. Glad I upgraded to the i5- really better in pretty much every way. For instance, my bluetooth mouse now performs much better with no scrolling lag or stutter. Was barely useable on the i3.

Fan blows more often on the i5 but to me sounds like one of those sleep noise machines - not a problem. For now on the i5 I am leaving ThrottleStop off. On the i3 it really helped but so far on the i5 never getting hot enough for things to throttle noticeably.

ctitanic

Who knows. Wifi speeds seem fine. Glad I upgraded to the i5- really better in pretty much every way. For instance, my bluetooth mouse now performs much better with no scrolling lag or stutter. Was barely useable on the i3.

Fan blows more often on the i5 but to me sounds like one of those sleep noise machines - not a problem. For now on the i5 I am leaving ThrottleStop off. On the i3 it really helped but so far on the i5 never getting hot enough for things to throttle noticeably.

You have, Wifi, http, tcpip, SSD IO process, encryption and decryption, etc.

wmadan

I am running this right now on my i3 and haven't gotten above 62C just doing Office and web browsing. My CPU is remaining pretty much pegged at or near 1.5 ghz all the time.

When I was testing an i3, the temperature rarely got above 62C with anything I did and
I wasn't using the program you recommend. The CPU also stayed at 1.50 most of the time. I found that the i5 actually cooled down quicker than the i3.