What's new

I kind of regret my Surface Pro 2 purchase & putting faith into Microsoft

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, he said they had a Miracast adapter plugged into the TV....I have the same setup...

Xbox One with a Mediasonic OTA HD Console plugged into the pass-through for TV (I'm a cord cutter)
Netgear PTV3000 also plugged into the TV (we only use it for CBS.com)

All other viewing happens through the Apps on Xbox or Play To...

OP
G

godson594

Update

New Surface arrived today - Came pretty quick, I got old lower processor spec model (no big deal to me as long as it works)
I inspected everything, looks good, no squeaky screen, BLB is as bad as my other one but I don't care... I also notice brightness doesn't go as bright as other one at 100% - at this point I still don't care. not a big deal
There is close to 700MB worth of updates so I plug it in and let it download and install, everything gets real warm (again I'm not concerned)

I start using it and press Top left area and it "clicks/crunches/pops" OMFG - I'm convinced now that there is a major flaw in glue that they use, it gets too hot and becomes loose. Sigh..... Imagine this thing 6 months from now after using Solidworks, the damn screen will probably fall off in my lap

Back to waiting for a chat agent. I'm really trying to keep my cool right now

*Another gripe - Not all Microsoft's fault but I stayed home today so I could sign for the package. I never got an email telling me it was shipped or anything, I just happened to look online and saw that it was on the way "Microsoft did say I would get an email in 24/48 hours when it was going to be sent". Gripe part, FedEX just left the thing on my front porch and didn't even knock or get a signature!!! I don't live in nicest part of town, and Microsoft has 1k hold on my debit card right now ffs.

Last edited:
Update

New Surface arrived today - Came pretty quick, I got old lower processor spec model (no big deal to me as long as it works)
I inspected everything, looks good, no squeaky screen, BLB is as bad as my other one but I don't care... I also notice brightness doesn't go as bright as other one at 100% - at this point I still don't care. not a big deal
There is close to 700MB worth of updates so I plug it in and let it download and install, everything gets real warm (again I'm not concerned)

I start using it and press Top left area and it "clicks/crunches/pops" OMFG - I'm convinced now that there is a major flaw in glue that they use, it gets too hot and becomes loose. Sigh..... Imagine this thing 6 months from now after using Solidworks, the damn screen will probably fall off in my lap

Back to waiting for a chat agent. I'm really trying to keep my cool right now

*Another gripe - Not all Microsoft's fault but I stayed home today so I could sign for the package. I never got an email telling me it was shipped or anything, I just happened to look online and saw that it was on the way "Microsoft did say I would get an email in 24/48 hours when it was going to be sent". Gripe part, FedEX just left the thing on my front porch and didn't even knock or get a signature!!! I don't live in nicest part of town, and Microsoft has 1k hold on my debit card right now ffs.

Some firm pressing in the upper right corner has seemed to get rid of my squeaks but I've hardly use it at full CPU capacity as of late. I turned off auto hibernate after 60 minutes in sleep so it no longer come out molten from my bag. It still idles at 30% CPU which does start the fan but I'm guessing it doesn't get hot enough to cause the screen to detach. Still in no-mans-land as far as getting a return and MS refuses to return my daily phone calls and yes they still have a $3300 hold on my CC.

OP
G

godson594

Welp 2 hours on chat for them to say I need to call in... Literally 20 minutes for a guy to even get me a number from when he said he was getting it to when he actually posted it in the chat...

I'm not cool with this screen non-sense. This tells me that 6 months from now after heavy use in CAD and video/graphic work this screen will be damn near falling off by then because of the heat. I mean this new screen became loose after getting warm doing the windows update. Even though this new screen isn't as bad as the old one, it's one day old with no use on it...

Hopefully I can get a refund.

DragonGamer

Welp 2 hours on chat for them to say I need to call in... Literally 20 minutes for a guy to even get me a number from when he said he was getting it to when he actually posted it in the chat...

I'm not cool with this screen non-sense. This tells me that 6 months from now after heavy use in CAD and video/graphic work this screen will be damn near falling off by then because of the heat. I mean this new screen became loose after getting warm doing the windows update. Even though this new screen isn't as bad as the old one, it's one day old with no use on it...

Hopefully I can get a refund.

It very surely wont ever fall off since that heat is very local, only the upper left area where the back also gets warm/hot due to the CPU...

It still idles at 30% CPU.

Umh.. what task is causing that?
I also had that issue a single time after it once started on itself from hibernating, but I remember to have killed it and the issue didn't appear anymore since then.. Unfortunately I seem to completely have forgot what type of task it was ><

It very surely wont ever fall off since that heat is very local, only the upper left area where the back also gets warm/hot due to the CPU...

Umh.. what task is causing that?
I also had that issue a single time after it once started on itself from hibernating, but I remember to have killed it and the issue didn't appear anymore since then.. Unfortunately I seem to completely have forgot what type of task it was ><

System and System Interrupts, (you cannot kill these) its a known issue due to the bad firmware where the only fix right now is to disable audio in device manager...

DragonGamer

Hm.. then it must have been something else for me.. Especially since it happened only on a single waking.. :/
Oh well, MS will _hopefully_ finally run a proper update soon.

OP
G

godson594

I was being sarcastic....

Welp 5 1/2 hours of dealing with online chat, support and a manager I'm no closer to having a refund. I have to send my first one back tomorrow and then follow up with these guys and ask for replacement number 3.

God I hope nobody else goes through this