What's new

I would pay $1000 for a Surface 3 if...

mtalinm

...t had a bigger/faster SSD (at least 256G) and 8G of memory. A faster chip would be nice, but I'm trying to be realistic.

I absolutely love this machine. At the office it drives a 34" 4k monitor without breaking a sweat. I take it everywhere - it's just small enough and light enough and the size works much better in my lap - keyboard is less flimsy than Pro.

But I'm out of disk space and the disk that's there feels quite slow. More memory too please.

I know they won't do this because they think the smaller screen size is non-" Pro", but seriously it's fine with the 3:2 aspect ratio. Yes I have a huge SD card but try splitting your OneDrive library across the two.

kltk1

When I was talking to the folks at the Microsoft Store, they said that there is a "commercial" version of the Surface 3 available that allows for more memory and a larger hard drive, however, you have to prove that you have a business, or the company you work for has to purchase it. Or something like that. You might wanna hit up a Microsoft store to see what that's all about.

InspectHerGadget

I might buy the Lenovo Yoga 3 11 inch. This is Core M with 128G SSD/4G and $150 cheaper than the Surface 3. It isn't as small and light but compact just the same.

I like the S3 and the magnesium case and the Lenovo is very nice but doesn't match that.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with you that a more performant (higher speced) version of the 10.8 size would be an excellent option. I'm hopeful MS will see the light and make one when Skylake is released.

I don't get at all their thinking on higher spec units only for businesses if that is true it would just show they have a vision problem. (possibly see the world from inside their posterior).

InspectHerGadget

The biggest issue is eMMC storage. This seems to be the biggest performance bottleneck. The Atom is maybe a good idea though as it runs ridiculously cool. Core M produces a lot more heat.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The biggest issue is eMMC storage. This seems to be the biggest performance bottleneck. The Atom is maybe a good idea though as it runs ridiculously cool. Core M produces a lot more heat.
The performance gap is too wide between Atom and the next suitable choice. I doubt Intel will fix that anytime soon so the option is Core-M in SDP mode. If Intel released an Atom with a 1.8x - 2x performance gain then you could stay in the Atom's Family. :)

InspectHerGadget

Ok so the Surface 3 needs a Core M and SSD storage.

Sounds like the Lenovo Yoga 3 11 inch is looking more attractive. I think it is the only design other than Surface that gives me a techno hard-on.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
they have to differentiate between the surface and the surface pro line. Make the surface too good and why would people pay the extra for the pro.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
they have to differentiate between the surface and the surface pro line. Make the surface too good and why would people pay the extra for the pro.
Because they want the bigger screen and even higher performance. there certainly could be performance overlap between the high end 10.8 and low end 12.1. It's that kind of thinking that killed RT and other products and holds MS back from achieving their great potential. Product Choice is NOT a bad thing.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because they want the bigger screen and even higher performance. there certainly could be performance overlap between the high end 10.8 and low end 12.1. It's that kind of thinking that killed RT and other products and holds MS back from achieving their great potential. Product Choice is NOT a bad thing.

It's not a bad thing, but it can be when you are still trying to establish yourself in the market. I wouldn't say no to a high power 10" surface (pro) or whatnot, but it doesn't seme like it's in microsofts best interests right now imo. When they get to the point where they can't keep the things on the shelves, then it would be feasible to take the samsung approach, again, imo.

TPadden

MacBook Pro and MacBook Air people have been having this discussion for years. Get the one you want that is available ....... or keep waiting for that perfect machine. :cool: