What's new

Solved IE 11 desktop don't change me anymore homepage

Enrico D.

Hello,

since some week I have trouble to set the homepage to facebook for example, now is set to google.com

if I change it in internet options in IE 11 desptop of my sp3, it doesn't work.

I read that something could be corrupted. I notice even some problem in IE sometime with some crash or error.

I have seen that IE 11 is integrated in the device now so we can't repair/reinstall.

What to do to resolve my issues?

thank you in advance for tips

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Is this what you are doing (see picture)? Also, check that you are not syncing your bookmarks ore settings with another computer or smartphone.

Screenshot (221).png

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

I'm usually well protected, I will check with malwarebytes if find something, but I found days ago in google some person with same issue and even in register was not able to find some particular cause. I will update you later.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

I solved... I can't tell how, from internet options I just clicked above start as homepage and then back to the check box, and it has updated now. Solved. Forget......... I can't be of help for who has some issue, I don't know how it adjusted the issue.

ScottyS

Don't know if this was the cause of your problem, but others lurking here should be aware that when they download and install free apps (from Internet, not MS Store) when you get those dialog boxes "Do you want to install blah-blah app?" [you click OK] Do you agree with EULA? [you click OK] Do you want to install another app that will hijack your browser's homepage and default search engine and keep changing it back to the one that paid us so we can offer this software "free" [and you click OK]...
Sometimes it's not even a new dialog box but just a check box checked by default on the dialog you want to click OK to; you have to un-check that box. And if you're offered "Express" or "Default" installation NEVER choose that. Always choose "Custom" because that's sometimes only where you can see the dialog boxes where you can uncheck the agreement to install malware.

You can also go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and look through the list to see if there programs you didn't know you installed or wanted (you can Google or Bing an app's name to see if it is something you do want to keep) and in IE go to Tools/Manage add-ons and look there to see if there is something loading you don't want.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am compulsive about checking for Windows Updates. I check way too often. Of this, I am ashamed.

But I am even more compulsive about checking for software which I don't want. Of this, I am proud.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Browser reset should have cleaned out/disabled all addons but wouldn't take effect until all browser processes exited. Sometimes when you close processes can hang around a while, especially on the surface with connected standby they may just suspend. so on a Surface it should be the practice to Reset the browser then Reboot... like nuking them from space... its the only way to be sure. :)