What's new

In the market

Kilgrow

I have been unemployed since March and decided to start my own business since my job hunt has been less than fruitful. My new job will require on site sales calls and PowerPoint presentations, so I am in the market for a laptop.

In my last job a co-worker had a surface pro 2 and liked it so I am leaning towards a pro 3. I could however use my son's old laptop for a month or 2 and wait for the pro 4, I read it will launch in 3 weeks (October 6th, 2015).

If you were me, would you get a pro 3, they are on sale for $150-$200 off, or wait for a pro 4?

I am just looking for any advice from those who are surely more knowledgeable than I regarding the Surface pro line.

Thanks in advance.

Armin

I would wait till October. I think they will only present the specifications of the new Surface in October, but these three weeks should be invested to know all aspects of the decision. The only thing I'm missing on my Surface Pro 3 is a WAN-Interface (UMTS/LTE), maybe the new Surface got it.
Next interesting point will be, to get a used Surface Pro 3 much cheaper, when the new Surface is out. If you get a used one, you will have to know, if you want a Win 8 or a Win 10 device.

Hoping it helped ...

ScottyS

Agree, you should wait, at least until the specs of the SP4 are known. For example, rumor is there will be a 14" screen model. If you're going onsite to show a PowerPoint presentation for your sales pitch, a 14" screen may have a greater impact. If you can afford it, it also shows the client you are using cutting edge new technology.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The SP4 will probably be announced on October 6th and probably wont be available until sometime in November, based on past patterns it's unlikely you will be able to take one home in October.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I hope your employment situation is improving, @Kilgrow.

Regardless of whether you use a SP3 or SP4, for client presentations, you will likely need a VGA adapter, HDMI adapter, and a wireless presentation remote. There are many versions of all of these.

The Surface Pro screen is not particularly large, and clients may not want to sit in your personal space to view it, but many will have a greeting room or reception conference room with a wall-mounted monitor.

You also may want a vehicle charger, since you'll be traveling and need a full charge.

Shown here:
Surface Pro Mini DisplayPort to VGA $40
Surface Pro Mini DisplayPort to HDMI $40
Inateck Wireless Presenter and Pointer Control $17
Vehicle Charger $17

VGA.jpg

hdmi.jpg

inateck.jpg

carcharger.jpg

CrippsCorner

Don't forget the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter too :) I would wait until next months announcement... even if the new model doesn't interest you, the Surface Pro 3 is bound to get a reduction in price after that.

Good luck with your new endeavours!

Theoriginalgiga

I would wait as well, as everyone said the SP4 should be announced soon. Further Dell and Lenovo have similar devices in the works too. More competition could lead to better prices.

OP
K

Kilgrow

I appreciate everyone's feedback - it will be tough but I will wait. I am sure it will be worth the wait for either a lower price on the pro 3 or the improvements of the pro 4.

Thanks.