What's new

Why does the Surface Pro 3 get a bad rap in the media? My take.

BearFlag

So I recently bought a Surface Pro and am pleasantly surprised so far. However the media makes it seem like the Microsoft is desperately trying to promote the Surface Pro 3 over the iPad and is failing miserably (CNN anchors and NFL commentators): http://www.businessinsider.com/cnn-anchors-use-surface-pro-3s-to-prop-up-ipads-2014-11

Here’s my take:

As a tablet I think the Surface Pro 3 does fall short of the iPad. However this is not because of the device itself but the because of the lack of app availability. I think the Surface Pro 3 can easily replace the iPad if Windows had the same apps (with same functionality) as Apple, but it doesn’t.

As a laptop I think the Surface Pro 3 does not match the functionality of Macbook Air because of an inferior keyboard and trackpad. Otherwise I think the device itself might even be better than an Macbook Air given it touchscreen and other capabilities. Honestly though, given the thinness and size of the touch keyboard, I’m not sure what MS could have done to make it better.

Given my short experience with the Surface Pro 3 so far, I think it does a fairly good job functioning as both a table and a laptop, and I think the media has unfairly targeted it. However I do think that Microsoft can do a better job at pushing app development on the Windows platform. Once it does that, I think the Surface line will excel.

kundas1

first off I don't think the media has given a bad rap per say and the 2 examples you gave haven't anything to do with media but just a couple of announcers that decided to use the SP3 as it wasn't intended to be used, it's because the 2 announcers are just not too bright and choose to be stubborn and use what's easier for them not necessarily what's more BETTER and superior... but that's just my take on it, doesn't actually mean anything lol also I take the words of end users like everyone here and on YouTube and the jist of it is that MOST users love the device!

kristalsoldier

I'd also like to add that compared to the iPad, the SP3, actually performs very well. I say this by comparing my iPad Air to my SP3 and I do the comparison in tablet-centric terms. The advantage that the SP3 has is that it can take hitherto desktop applications and, by virtue of its form factor, present them in a tablet-centric mode. In comparison, the iPad does not have that capability and it will never have that capability till it can also run Mac-specific desktop applications. As for comparing the SP3 to the MBA or whatever, I wouldn't know as I have never really used a MBA.

I will have to agree with @GreyFox7 above when he says that if the SP3 does suffer from a bad rap, it is due to the somewhat odd fixation that the tech media in particular have towards MS (and, by extension, MS devices).

Nuspieds

As a tablet, I think the SP(1/2/3) exceeds the iPad simply because it allows you to have one device for your Windows experience. That is, the iPad runs only iOS apps (and not Mac OS apps), whereas the SP runs Windows apps (i.e., Desktop and Modern UI). So, in the Apple world, if you use apps that are exclusive to either platform (or exist on both but you have a preference for one due to functionality), then you need both an iOS and a Mac OS device. On the other hand, with only the SP device, you have access to the entire Windows application ecosystem.

As a laptop, the Touch/Type Cover keyboards are optional, so feel free to replace them with your keyboard (and other peripherals) of choice. The bottom line is that you can outfit the SP with the peripherals you need so that it can match/exceed the configuration of any other laptop.

Having stated all that, however, the bottom line is that the SP is a hybrid. Hybrids are never as good as their individual parts; that is, a hybrid car is not a great as its gas-only or electric-only equivalent. But, if you're looking for the best of/features from both worlds, then a hybrid is the way to go. On the other hand, if you have no restrictions, then there's nothing wrong with adopting the best-of-breed-per-platform approach.

Nuspieds

I will have to agree with @GreyFox7 above when he says that if the SP3 does suffer from a bad rap, it is due to the somewhat odd fixation that the tech media in particular have towards MS (and, by extension, MS devices).
He is right...but now the shoe is on the other foot: Back in the day, there was a time where MS could do no wrong and the tech media were gobbling up and further marketing everything from MS.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, MS is finally experiencing what their competition were experiencing back in the day.

Maximus3D

I think it's even simpler than that, it's not an Apple product and as most media, journalists and editors love to write positive articles about Apple and their products as it attracts a lot of traffic to their sites and it sells. Then they write all positive reviews of Apple products and if anything else 'Surfaces' which may compete with these then it will get automatically trashed.

/ Magnus

OP
BearFlag

BearFlag

As a tablet, I think the SP(1/2/3) exceeds the iPad simply because it allows you to have one device for your Windows experience. That is, the iPad runs only iOS apps (and not Mac OS apps), whereas the SP runs Windows apps (i.e., Desktop and Modern UI). So, in the Apple world, if you use apps that are exclusive to either platform (or exist on both but you have a preference for one due to functionality), then you need both an iOS and a Mac OS device. On the other hand, with only the SP device, you have access to the entire Windows application ecosystem.

I disagree. Sure you have access to all the desktop programs but they are not optimized for a tablet. The availability of apps on the iPad really make the tablet experience better. Purely from a tablet perspective, it much more user-friendly to use HBO GO, Vitalsource Bookshelf, Banking, Google Maps, YouTube, etc with an app than to use IE to get to them.

All I'm saying that the hardware is there for the Surface line, so if the same apps were available in the Windows ecosystem, I think the Surface line would dominate.

Last edited:

benjitek

Microsoft brings a lot of it on themselves by blasting the airwaves with ads comparing the SP3 with Apple products -- they'd probably do better to find a more reputable ad agency that can present the merits of the product on it's own -- let the consumer compare.

Nuspieds

I disagree. Sure you have access to all the desktop programs but they are not optimized for a tablet. The availability of apps on the iPad really make the tablet experience better. Purely from a tablet perspective, it much more user-friendly to use HBO GO, Vitalsource Bookshelf, Banking, Google Maps, YouTube, etc with an app then to use IE to get to them.

All I'm saying that the hardware is there for the Surface line, so if the same apps were available in the Windows ecosystem, I think the Surface line would dominate.
Per my entire original post, the SP is a hybrid and if you are comfortable with the compromises of going with a hybrid, then why carry multiple devices? That's exactly where the SP outshines the iPad; in the Apple world you are either running iOS apps or Mac OS apps, but never both on the same device. Not so in the Microsoft world; one device will suffice.

Again, per my entire original post, if you have no restrictions and--for example--tablet-optimized apps are important for you, then there's nothing wrong with adopting the best-of-breed-per-platform approach.

Kif

At the SP3 launch event Microsoft handed out SP3 to jaded reporters and dared them that they would prefer it over using their MacBook Air's. This was bold claim and one that probaly backfired. It was unlikely they were going win over these people. Predictively the first round of reviews all unfavorable compared the SP3 to the MacBook Air. Microsoft marketing isn't great and the company needs to take a more humble approach. Fortunately, I think Satya is helping to company become more humble. I'm still not sure about the marketing but we'll see after the holidays. Finally, Windows 8.1 needs to go since its a damaged brand. The SP3 is first class hardware but Win 8.1 does it no favors.

Liam2349

I disagree. Sure you have access to all the desktop programs but they are not optimized for a tablet. The availability of apps on the iPad really make the tablet experience better. Purely from a tablet perspective, it much more user-friendly to use HBO GO, Vitalsource Bookshelf, Banking, Google Maps, YouTube, etc with an app than to use IE to get to them.

An iPad isn't capable of standing toe-to-toe with my SP3 in terms of my tablet usage. It doesn't run any of the software I need to use in tablet mode and it doesn't support any of the peripherals I use.

Maybe for casuals an iPad could be more suitable. I say more suitable, not better, because you might not require the functionality that I do.

I think most apps are redundant when you have a web browser that supports Flash, Silverlight e.t.c. The web versions are always more feature-rich than the apps.