What's new

installing to Surface Pro 7 Win 10 custom edition

Hi guys.
My Surface Pro 7 with some Core M cpu and 4 gigs of RAM, is kinda slugish.specially when trying to watch youtube videos from video to video,and it does freeze in Chrome sometimes with only one tab opened.
I thought to install custom Windows 10 Lite version which was modified for weaker machines.
What do you think,worth it try?
Would everything work as normal,this version:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
1st try disabling hardware acceleration ... unintuitively this can improve the legginess issues.

ok if that didn't work and you choose to boldly go where no man has gone before ...
I wonder what the impact of removing the INK Workspace will be ... updates disabled until 2099 - just stupid. no virtual memory - that'll work good until you use all the memory then your only option will be to close apps. we had all this in 1990 ... we moved on from there for a reason.

Please let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

oh I'd guess there'll be no surface keyboard drivers so you'll need a USB keyboard to do the installation and no surface specific drivers will leave other things nonfunctional as well so you'll probably need to download the Surface drivers and install them.

OP
P

pcpartpicker

1st try disabling hardware acceleration ... unintuitively this can improve the legginess issues.

ok if that didn't work and you choose to boldly go where no man has gone before ...
I wonder what the impact of removing the INK Workspace will be ... updates disabled until 2099 - just stupid. no virtual memory - that'll work good until you use all the memory then your only option will be to close apps. we had all this in 1990 ... we moved on from there for a reason.

Please let us know how it goes if you decide to do it.

oh I'd guess there'll be no surface keyboard drivers so you'll need a USB keyboard to do the installation and no surface specific drivers will leave other things nonfunctional as well so you'll probably need to download the Surface drivers and install them.
Ooh okay let me try first to disable hardware acceleration and report back.Virtual Memory can be enabled, just watch the video until the end.
I can not manage to find drivers for this model,would you help?
So model is : 1796
Though I can install drivers via 3rd party apps (snappy,etc..)
I found links how to disable HW acceleration, but you mean in Windows or in Chrome?
Would you help with the link...Thx.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ooh okay let me try first to disable hardware acceleration and report back.Virtual Memory can be enabled, just watch the video until the end.
I can not manage to find drivers for this model,would you help?
So model is : 1796
Though I can install drivers via 3rd party apps (snappy,etc..)
I found links how to disable HW acceleration, but you mean in Windows or in Chrome?
Would you help with the link...Thx.
drivers: Download drivers and firmware for Surface - Microsoft Support

model 1796 = Surface Pro 6

I'd try disabling HW acceleration in Chrome first.