What's new

Introduction

OP
P

primapride

I've done that and its now connected, however it does connect for a while then seems to go off normally. I'll just watch it for a little while. Thank you for your suggestions. Can you explain to me what unchecking that box actually does?

leeshor

You either need to 1) check to see if the router needs new firmware if possible, 2) restart the router, 3) input the fixed IP info I mentioned. You would go to the same place you went to disable the IPv6 but you would want to modify the IPv4. The IP address and gateway is something you will need to determine from your network, as well as the DNS, however you can use alternate DNS numbers like 8.8.8.8 - 8.8.4.4

You can find that information when you are connected or from another connected device by opening a command prompt and typing
ipconfig /all

OP
P

primapride

Hi....thank you for the reply........I've been at work all day today so been unable to continue working on resolving any issues. I did however receive notifications that you had replied via my email.........thank you.

So.............I'll be unable to try any of the above as working again tomorrow :( but a couple of questions are...........what is the DNS? /and how do I check if the router needs needs new firmware? And if it does...........who do I get it from? BT are adamant my router is fine. I'm possibly out of my depth now but willing to try and learn........
On a positive note......I came home tonight and for the first time ever its kept its connection for longer than 10 mins - still dropped once or twice but nothing like it was before..........so thank you for that.

Can I check in again Saturday when I'm off and have time to try some of the suggestions (once I understand them).

Ali

leeshor

Let's forget about the firmware for the moment. You probably don't have access to it. If you go into the adapter settings you will find all the fields to fill in. DNS is what you will see at the bottom when you do that ipconfig /all It stands for domain name server. Without DNS information you can on;y go to a WEB site using its IP address.

OP
P

primapride

Well firstly - thank you for the support I've received here. I've tried everything suggested above and other things.

However, I've now tried everything I feel I can do given my limited technical skills and at the end of the day I purchased the machine to be able to use it and its rendered itself virtually useless. I seem to be spending any free time I have trouble shooting and trying various fixes all with little or no success.

Yesterday in a last ditch attempt I went out and purchased two new routers to see if the Homehub 4 was causing me some of the problems. Netgear d6200 and netgear d3600 have not helped me either. I installed the d6200 first then tried the d 3600. In both cases every other device connected and worked wonderfully with the exception of the surface pro 3 - quickly dropped connections (despite showing connected) limited connection or no connection at all. I also feel that when the connection problems are happening the fan starts running and the machine gets quite hot so I can see more issues in the future for me.

I'm disappointed as when it has connected and I've had chance to use it I've seen snippets of how much I would have enjoyed the machine but on the whole its been a headache and one I'm going to get rid of with a return to John Lewis (thank God for such a good company that will take it back after two months!).

I'm now in the position of taking another chance on a surface with the pro 4 (Microsoft assure me with windows 10 preinstalled it will be fine - but then they also said they weren't aware of any surface pro 3 wifi problems!) or to cut my losses and forget the surface models altogether.

Again thank you for the support.