We fixed an issue where on some devices like the Surface Pro 3, the Windows audio device graph isolation would max out CPU utilization due to being stuck in an endless loop due to defective Realtek APOs.
Today the laggies and page not responding are back, I guess it's only odd number days... Both IE and Edge are laggy but only Edge, so far is displaying the Recover Webpage dialog. it seems to be an issue with graphics.
One page with an animated gif was extremely slow.
Even scrolling up and down the page(s) freezes.
A cursory look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor reveal no obvious culprits for this situation.
Going to check another Windows 10 computer that's not running Creators Update for comparison. This i5-M480 laptop computer with a real HDD is less powerful than the I5 SP3 so ... it shouldn't be faster since it has slower CPU, slower graphics, slower RAM, & slower Disk.
Update: Yep, officially slower n laggier than my old test laptop running W10 1607 B 14393.969.
As I typed this I got a weird audio static burst from the speakers... that's just wrong. I have been running my S3 with audio disabled due to weirdness... may have to try the same now on the SP3.
BTW anyone know what the heck "Windows Audio device graph isolation" does??? I swear this is a CIA inspired module
Additional testing with a pluggable USB Ethernet adapter reveals the lag in in the Wifi stack. No issues encountered (so anyway) on this connection. Graphics definitely load much slower on Wifi although mostly text pages can also be a problem, IDK if there exists a page without graphics anymore.
The slow performance is intermittent and occurs on both SP3 and S3 although is can be bad for hours at a time. I don't experience slowness on other wifi devices and didn't have this issue prior to installing the CU.
Just for completeness I think I'll test a USB Wifi adapter also.
The Linksys wusb6300 ac1200 USB Wifi adapter has Edge blazing along on the CU build ... not really surprised by that ... AFAIK There were no Wifi driver updates with CU so... the problem must be further up the stack.
Not quite as fast when the internal is working good but much better when the internal is having fits. It's much smaller size compared to the Linksys unit makes it a good option for a failed, failing, or otherwise cantankerous Surface Wifi.
I'm tired of fighting this Wifi issue ... when it acts up all I have to do is plug in the USB adapter and it automatically switches over ... instant relief.
I don't yet have the newer even smaller Edimax EW-7822ulc ac1200 adapter but it's on the way from Amazon. I expect great things from this and just might make it permanent and disable the Surface internal Wifi forever.
I don't use one drive(or any cloud services) and the last update was a number of days ago. Had no issues with battery from Tuesday, but today I did. As i say, no unusual cpu, disk, or network activity which might explain it. But now seeing 10% per 30 minutes doing nothing but scrolling through a single onenote page and doing nothing else, not even inking.
I have been using the new smaller Edimax EW-7822ulc ac1200 adapter since yesterday and it's great, probably the best $20 I ever spent aside from the 16 I spent on the ac600 model. This ac1200 nano adapter only sticks out 8 mm (3/8 inch) from the side vs the 20 mm for the ac600 model.
Really either the Edimax ew-7811utc ac600 adapter or the newer ac1200 adapters work well. My Internet connection is "50 mbps" although I get 60-70 on it . The ac600 can pretty much reach my max Internet speed (although 75mbps is just a click away from being my subscribed speed or even 100+ mbps) but that's it's top end.
The ac 1200 is more than capable of my max subscribed Internet speed and any speed I'll have in the near future in addition it hits it top speed on my local gigabit lan.
I'll check the Marvell adapter now and then to see if they ever fix it bit I just don't care anymore.
They must have a huge build prepared for tomorrow.. my sp4 has turned i to a pig. Can't even open onenote 2016, pen frequently just right clicking, dragging boxes right click thing (terminology is lost on me), touch stops working entirely, multi touch (pinch and zoom) intermittent, mouse click not doing anything with work does e.g anything involving the action center or start menu, and touch isn't usable either when this issue occurs