What's new

Is it safe to store files OneDrive?

Im currently running my SP3 with W10 Technical Review and have some important files stored on my disk.

So if I put my files in my OneDrive folder, will they stay physically there and online aswell? If the files get corrupted in my surface will they corrupt online aswell?

Thanks.

leeshor

They are probably as safe on OneDrive as they would be anywhere else in the cloud The problem is, from what I can tell, it is only a place to allow access anywhere but there is no versioning control and will not take the place of backups. You corrupt a file and it syncs it's corrupt in both places.

malberttoo

Also look carefully at OneDrive's terms of service. They will delete/remove content from your account that they don't approve of. I do use it for some things on my SP3. But I use Dropbox for most everything else.

kristalsoldier

Also look carefully at OneDrive's terms of service. They will delete/remove content from your account that they don't approve of. I do use it for some things on my SP3. But I use Dropbox for most everything else.

Thanks for this. I was not aware of this. But one question: Does using Dropbox continuously on the SP3 noticeably impact the battery life - worse that OneDrive, which I can't say that I have noticed has any really negative impact on battery life?

malberttoo

Thanks for this. I was not aware of this. But one question: Does using Dropbox continuously on the SP3 noticeably impact the battery life - worse that OneDrive, which I can't say that I have noticed has any really negative impact on battery life?

I've never noticed any kind of battery drain. Nor would I really expect any, as I'm guessing that there's only any communicating going on (using the WiFi card) when files are being sync'd or changed.

If you do set up DB on your SP3, then try to do it (the first time) when you're on your home network where another computer has DB on it as well. Then DB will sync your SP3 directly from that machine (LAN sync) instead of pulling it all down over the Internet. I've got about 4GB of stuff in my DB folder, so you can image that it's drastically faster for me to do a LAN sync than trying to sync over the 'net.