What's new

Is my SP6 working fast enough?

wpcoe

Active Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2017
Messages
179
Points
28
Location
Mexico
My Device
SPro
Subjectively it seems sluggish. e.g. The fastest I've timed Photoshop starting up to a usable state was 21 seconds. Often it takes 25-30 seconds. It used to start up faster, but it may be Adobe to blame for the slowness?

Using BootRacer to time a "Full Boot" (with start-up apps) was 39-41 secs. A "Clean Boot" (without start-up apps) was 36-38 secs. ISTR ten years ago or more, using BootRacer and seeing results less than 20 secs. Is 36-38 secs a reasonable time for a modern 4-core CPU to boot up?

Windows shutdown (with all foreground apps already closed) takes 15-20 seconds.

About six months ago, when I felt the system was sluggish I formatted the drive and reinstalled Win10 fresh, but things were the same.

The past couple times I started PS, I monitored the Performance tab of Task Manager to watch the CPU and it never went above 2.3Ghz, usually staying in the sub-2Ghz range. My SP6 has the i7-8650U (4C/8T, 1.9GHz /4.2Ghz) & 16GB RAM. Shouldn't the CPU kick up to a higher speed? The SSD (512GB with over 50% free) usage never got very high, either.
 
Back
Top